Trick or Treating Age Restrictions

Is there an age when you should no longer go out trick or treating?

Trick or Treating Age Restrictions

Cassidy Botsch, Staff Writer

Tis the season for spooks and scares! As days roll closer to October 31st, people start to plan out their costumes. 

The real question is, “Is there an age when you should stop trick or treating?” Most would say no, but let’s hear it first hand from the high school students of Lindenhurst. A majority of the people who answered the survey said no, they do not believe there is an age limit when it comes to trick or treating on Halloween. Though there were some who voted yes! 

The survey also had a follow up question for those who answered yes. It stated, “If yes, please state an age?” The ages replied were 19, 35+, 15, 20, 18, and most bizarre of them all, infinity. At 15, you’re still a kid and should continue to live life to the fullest, along with 18 and 19. People who are 35+ are most likely trick or treating with their children, but technically they are still out and about. 

Halloween can be traced back to the ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain, which was held on November 1 in contemporary calendars. It was believed that on that day, the souls of the dead returned to their homes, so people dressed in costumes and lit bonfires to ward off spirits. Times have slightly altered since then. 

In the present day, people still dress up in costumes, but instead of bonfires and warding off spirits, we walk around town and gather candy from our neighbors, trick or treating. Now thinking about it, it seems kind of strange. Our parents have always told us not to take candy from strangers, but that’s besides the point. Usually when trick or treating, someone rings a doorbell or knocks on the door, the candy givers tend to predict a child. Quite frankly that’s never the case. Halloween is meant to be celebrated by all. Even if some people don’t trick or treat, they are most likely giving out candy, at parties, going to haunted houses, or watching scary movies, etc.

Halloween is a holiday meant to be celebrated by all! There is no rule book that permits only children to participate in gathering candy, everyone should be able to  enjoy a fun and spooky night regardless of their age. So get out your costumes, grab a bag, and have the night of your life with your friends and family. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!