Applying For College

Chauncy Lewis, Staff Writter

High School years can be the hardest years by far. According to the Chicago Tribune, “Some schools receive over 75,000 applicants!” This means your application has to stand out.  A great way to start building your resume is to engage in extracurricular activities, especially uncommon ones.  Even though colleges are looking for uniqueness, grades are still crucial.  Obviously, it’s important to maintain higher grades to reach for top tier schools.  A Lindenhurst junior, Hailey Leon,  stated, “Focus on yourself and decide what you want to do and don’t slack.  Keep up with work especially SAT stuff.”  

According to their website, the common App is the most widely used application process.  “The Common Application represent[s] nearly 900 diverse institutions of higher education…Each year, more than one million students – a third of whom are first generation – apply to college, research financial aid and scholarships, and connect to college counseling resources through Common App.”  There are  many resources available through their site including: information on various colleges, how to plan and pay for your higher education, and of course the actual application.

Early action is another application process which in some cases, binds you with the school you chose if they accept you.  According ThoughtCo.com, “Early action…is an accelerated college application process in which students typically must complete their applications in November. In most cases, students will then receive a decision from the college before the new year.”

It is important to remember each college charges a small fee for the application. The applications will be available at certain times during the year mainly fall.   

Your application essay can make or break your acceptance.  It’s a chance for the college admissions officer to read it and learn what kind of student you are.  There are many approaches to writing this, but always be honest.  You want the admissions officer walking out remembering your essays out of the thousands they read.  This essay has to be the best thing you’ve written.  You may get help from your available sources such as teachers, tutors, friends, or family. Recommendations are another way to show you are one-of-a-kind.  Being active, staying after school, helping out your community may set you from the rest in many aspects. Lastly, make your application meaningful and always do your best in and out of school.