Ways We Keep Active

Courtesy of G. Dragotta

Mrs. Dragotta keeping fit at home!

Giuliana Barberio, Staff Writer

Most of us are victims to the staying home and having the luxury of not having to do anything all day, everyday routine. There’s only so many times we can really do that. Some students are athletes and used to the constant workout and sweating during practices. Some of us were probably working out on our own time either in the gym or at home. And some of us were not on that grind, but we were thinking about it, right? 

If you’re a beginner or just starting on your fitness journey, you might have some questions. What workouts should I be doing? Should I start easier and work my way up or go all in? How many times a week should I be working out? Is there a required amount of time I should be doing my workouts for? We all know that starting is not easy and getting yourself used to this new lifestyle is even harder, but it’s always good to keep your body happy and healthy so it’s all worth it in the end. CST asked a mix of both students and teachers how they stayed active throughout quarantine.

Jennifer Kelly, a Lindenhurst High School teacher, told CST how she managed to stay active. 

How do you manage to stay active? “I have worked out at home for the last 15 years or so instead of going to a gym, and it has helped me be more consistent with my workout schedule.  With a busy lifestyle, it can be hard to find time to go to the gym, but I think it’s easier to find the time when your workout can be done at home. Years ago I used to do all kinds of fitness DVDs, but now I have a Peloton Bike.  It was the best purchase I ever made.  I love the classes, the music and the instructors are so fun, and it’s very motivating because it gives you a lot of different goals to work towards.  Peloton has a great app and there are a million other classes you can do besides cycling.  They have great yoga, weight training, and even meditation classes.”

How did your fitness routine change during these times of the pandemic? “Since I do my workout at home nothing really changed for me, in fact, I probably did more.  What I did start doing was walking the dog everyday.  I think walking is such a great way to stay active.  You might not feel like doing a whole sweat session some day, but it’s easy to walk and still beneficial for your health.  Plus, your dog will hold you accountable!  Mine sure does!”

Do you have any advice or good ways for a beginner to start their very own fitness journey? “The best advice I would give is to set small goals.  Sometimes people make unreachable fitness goals, such as thinking they are going to work out every single day or they try an activity that is just too hard for a beginner.  Then when they can’t keep that schedule, they feel disappointed and give up.  If you start by saying I will try to do three active things per week, you will find soon that you are doing more. Then it’s actually encouraging you to keep going!”

Chloe Hendrickson, a Lindenhurst High School student, told CST how she managed to stay active. 

How do you manage to stay active? I manage to stay fit by keeping a mind set that is all set on working out and staying active so I don’t get out of shape.

How did your fitness routine change during these times of the pandemic? When the pandemic first started, I was very lazy and I didn’t move as much as I did when we were at school and could walk from class to class. As the pandemic progressed, I started to become a little more active and I went on bike rides around my neighborhood. I also started a workout routine in January 2021 that I now follow everyday. 

Do you have any advice or good ways for a beginner to start their very own fitness journey? My advice for beginners would be, don’t over do yourself, start off slow and don’t do too much all at one time. You have to progress towards longer and harder workouts. 

Gina Dragotta, a Lindenhurst High School teacher, told CST how she managed to stay active. 

How do you manage to stay active? Staying active has always been very important to me. As my life has gotten busier, I have made staying active a priority. As soon as I get home from work I complete my workout before having to get my kids off the bus. On the weekends, I set my alarm and wake up early to make sure that I get my workout in. I usually take one day, generally Sunday, to do deep stretching or yoga and I have my kids do it with me. 

How did your fitness routine change during these times of the pandemic? My fitness routine completely changed during the pandemic. I was going to a gym called Orange Theory for almost two years and really loved the classes there. When they closed due to the pandemic, I had to figure out a new workout routine. At first I was just running, biking and hiking, but I needed more. I went back to one of my favorite fitness companies: Beach Body. They offer thousands of fitness classes that you can do at your home. I had to build up my home gym and buy weights, bands, mats and an indoor jump rope. I really love the freedom that working out at home gives me. 

Do you have any advice or good ways for a beginner to start their very own fitness journey? My advice to a beginner would be to set realistic goals. Nothing feels better than meeting a goal that you have set for yourself, but if you are new to fitness you can’t set unrealistic goals. Drinking water is a very important part for both nutrition and fitness. A general rule is that you should drink half of your body weight in ounces everyday. Most people don’t come close to that number. Also, you can not out train a bad diet, so whatever your fitness goals are, your nutrition will be a key component in reaching that goal. 

Athena Staino, a Lindenhurst High School student, told CST how she managed to stay active. 

How do you manage to stay active? To keep active, I do 40 minute workouts every night.

How did your fitness routine change during these times of the pandemic? Back in March I realized I needed to start working out more and over the summer I started to do more training. I also played a lot of field hockey.

Do you have any advice or good ways for a beginner to start their very own fitness journey? From my experience I started with the treadmill running everyday then did more weight training after a month of just cardio.

We hope for you to be able to find something or have an idea about anything that can work for you. Everyone is different and it’s best to feel comfortable at all times when it comes to making yourself feel your healthiest and best for the rest of your life.