Courtesy of unsplash.com

Stuck in Summer School?

APEX Course Here @ LHS

Apex is a summer program that is offered during the summer months for those students who have failed a school subject. Mrs. Partridge, a teacher of the APEX summer program, was able to answer a few questions about the course.    

The APEX computer credit recovery program allows students who failed a course have the opportunity to “recover” their credit.   According to Mrs. Partridge, “students have to complete every unit, must receive a passing grade, and must complete at least 25 hours.  Each course has a different amount of units, depending on the class.  A student could technically finish the class in two weeks, but they are given a full 5 weeks if they need it.”  Students are usually registered for 1-3 courses.

The hours of the program are everyday  from Monday-Thursday and it will begin at 7:30 am to 11:30 am for 5 weeks. Before the pandemic students would have been able to come into school for APEX, but since the pandemic kids would have done it remotely. When this article was being written it was not confirmed if it is virtual or in school. 

The subjects offered are mostly core subject, but some classes are not offered such as some electives and higher levels of foreign language. According to Mrs. Partridge, “the online APEX courses are harder than sitting in a classroom for 10 months because the work is done mostly independently. This computer program can never replace a teacher, so it could be more difficult because the program requires students to read a great deal of information in order to complete quizzes and tests.” Despite this, she reiterates that there are “teachers  available for help in English, Math, Social Studies, and Science” if needed.

There is also an attendance policy and if you don’t log in everyday, there’s a chance students could be terminated.  Some people may think they perform better online and some people prefer going into school. In her experience, Mrs. Partridge feels “most students learn better with a teacher because a teacher knows how to reach all types of learners. The APEX program offers no differentiation, so some students find it more challenging.  However, there are some students who do very well with the online model.

I hope this really helped you out if you are going into APEX or if you’re nervous about the course.

$0
$500