Learn how to make Khrustyky, a famous Polish delicacy often enjoyed during the holidays! Khrustyky are known as “Angel Wings” in English.
- 2 large eggs (room-temperature)
- 3 large egg yolks (room-temperature)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups flour
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and cream. Next, beat in the sugar.
- Combine the flour and the salt, and stir into the egg mixture until smooth (the dough will be soft).
- Divide into 4 parts.
- On a well-floured surface, roll out 1 portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut it into 1 ½ inch strips, and cut strips diagonally into 3 pieces.
- Cut a 1 ½ inch slit lengthwise into the center of each piece
- Pull 1 end of the strip through the slit to make a loop.
- Cover shaped pieces while rolling out and cutting the remaining dough.
- In an electric skillet or deep cast-iron, heat about 3 inches of oil to 375°.
- Fry the pastries in batches until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Donate to The Charles Street Times