January through June

January 14, 2019

Courtesy of Kimmarie McCrann

Performers bowing on their last performance of Footloose on January 13, 2018.

January

Right at the start of the new year, Lindenhurst was affected by a new law which implemented plastic bags to cost five cents when they were used in stores. This law was to decrease the use of plastic bags since they take very long to decompose and is a positive step for our environment.

Also in January, Footloose debuted on January 12 and 13. The music and acting in the show was amazing making it very rememberable.

February

February was a very important year to reflect on in 2018. On February 14, 2018, seventeen students and staff were killed in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. With this terrible event, it has lead to have such a positive impact with the March for our Lives event in Washington DC.

Courtesy of Joselyn Osorio
Students protesting gun violence by taking part in the Walkout on March 14th, 2018.

Through all the events happening on the news, Debate Club held a debate to discuss the pros and cons of teachers being armed. Through this debate, students were able to be open minded and hear other opinions and views on the topic.

March

March 14, 2018 was day to remember. In LHS, around 30 students took part in a walk out to stand up for gun violence, exactly one month after the school shooting in Parkland, Florida. These students were able to stand up for what they believed in, with passion to be heard.

Student Council
Members at the Senior Prom Event on April 14, 2018.

As the month came to an end orchestra members performed in Disney World! One of the four songs they performed was “How Far I’ll Go” from the Disney movie Moana. At the same time,  the Lindenhurst Dance Ensemble performed the 14th Annual “Evening of Dance.” Both of these events were successful due to the performers who did such a great job!

April

On April 14, Student Council held their annual Senior Prom Night. The event had delicious food and was overall a very enjoyable night. A member of Student Council, Madison Kamme stated, “the event was a lot of fun. The seniors really enjoyed it and that’s all that matters.”

May

As many students were preparing for AP exams and finals, one senior, Gabrielle Anzalone was doing more than just studying. She wanted to do more, by running for a spot on the Board of Education. She came to this idea with first starting the organization of the walkout to take place on March 14th, 2018.

When CST spoke with her last year, she stated “It is up to you to take the initiative to vote for a positive change, as your actions of today impact tomorrow.” Even though she lost the election by around a hundred points, she still made a huge impact on our community.

June

As the school year came to an end, many students were studying for finals and getting prepared for summer. The Class of 2018 got to enjoy their high school graduation, closing off the years of going to LHS, but going on to do new and better things in the world. In the last four years they met great people and learned amazing things.

Over the summer, students were able to have fun with their friends and family, getting a break from LHS since school can get pretty stressful.