The Bulldogs Win Big in Crucial Statement Game

Photo via Todd Falasco

Joseph Frescott, Co-Editor in Chief

As most people know, high school sports were postponed and/or canceled since the beginning of March 2020, when the COVID-19 pandemic officially closed down the world. Since then, school sports did not return until February 2021. This return to sports represented the first official high school games since the pandemic began. The school sports seasons started with winter sports, and after a month of wrestling, basketball, and winter track competition, fall sports were next in line.

With the return of fall sports, comes the opportunity for the Lindenhurst Varsity Football Team to defend their 2019 Long Island Championship, and this time in a new division.  After Riverhead had to unfortunately drop their football program this season, the Bulldogs were slated to replace them in Division 1 after spending the last two seasons in Division 2. In their first contest, Lindy was expected to play against Commack. However, after Commack tested positive for COVID-19 before the game, the Bulldogs had to wait one more week until they make their long awaited return.

On this past Saturday, Lindenhurst was finally able to play their first game, as they traveled to Bay Shore to play the Marauders. In a game that was expected to be highly competitive, the Bulldogs showed why they won the Rutgers trophy the season prior, as they dominated Bay Shore in every aspect of the game. From the opening snap that saw DE David Varella sack the Bay Shore QB, it was all Lindy from that point forward. In the first half, the Bulldogs were able to score on every offensive drive, as QB Jack Randazzo threw two TDs to WR Chris Carson and WR Brendan O’Conner as they cruised to a 29-0 lead. The defense was just as lights out, as DE Brady Wilner sacked the QB for a safety and the defense held the Marauders to under 20 yards after two quarters.

In the second half, Lindenhurst continued their dominant ways. RB Orrik Blaise led the way with a 53 yard TD run, followed by a pair of TDs by RB Joseph Frescott. The defense did not let up, as Bay Shore could not get anything going for the entirety of the contest. In the end, the Bulldogs continued their dominant ways, winning by a score of 49-0.

Next week, the Bulldogs travel to Sachem North to take on Flaming Arrows at 6:00 pm on March 26th.

UPDATE (3/25/21):

After this weeks round of COVID-19 testing, the Lindenhurst Varsity Football Team has to unfortunately quarantine for 10 days after one player tested positive. The changes to the schedule are unknown at this time.