Lindy’s Thanksgiving Food Drive

Donate and make a change! Donations taken before Thanksgiving break

Giuliana Barberio, Staff Writer

When one thinks of holiday spirit, they often imagine sitting around a fire or having a Christmas meal with family, but there is so much more to it than that. Thanksgiving is the time of the year for people to sit down and look back on all their blessings. 

Every year, the National Honor Society puts together a Thanksgiving Food Drive to help families in need. NHS students donate different foods to the Grace Methodist Church food pantry to give to families around Lindenhurst to enjoy during their Thanksgiving meal. You can donate nonperishables with—foods like boxes of rice and sealed pies—which are supposed to be brought to room 154. Mrs. VerStraten, one of the heads of National Honor Society, also mentioned that teachers can choose to keep a box in their classrooms to collect their students’ food in as well. 

Furthermore, the Student Council also takes part in the donations. “For the baskets, a club or class takes the responsibility to put together a Thanksgiving dinner for a family and then we get that delivered to the family in need”, head of student council Ms. Scharf told CST in an interview. Mrs. VerStraten added that “a couple of days before Thanksgiving, a truck will come to the school and we will send all the food over to the church.”

So for those interested in taking part in the annual Thanksgiving Food Drive, know that you are helping families in need, the people in your community, along as giving them the holiday season they deserve.