Path to Success

Angela Solorzano, Staff Writer

On November 18th, Chris Schnatz, a previous student and Athletic Director of the United States Merchant Marine Academy, came to Lindenhurst High School at the library to discuss his path to success to all grades. He explained what he does for a living and how much he has accomplished after high school. Chris’ father was a Math teacher here for 32 years at Lindenhurst High School and also the basketball coach. He asks teachers if anyone had his father and explains he was friends with Mr. Boccanfuso, one of Lindenhurst High School’s Assistant Principal. 

Schnatz discusses what a Merchant Marine is and explains that he talks to his athletes about what it is. He explains how he relates to students not knowing what they want to do in the future. After explaining the start of his senior year, he says, “I didn’t know what I wanted to do for a living, no path, no understanding.” He was able to be recruited to the 3rd division by the school Suny Maritime College. Towards the end of his senior year of college, he explained that he had to stay an extra semester since he was a B+ student, while he was staying he coached, he was 24 still not knowing what to do for a living. He had 2 careers at one time, assistant basketball coach for a small college, and captain of a boat casino off lake Michigan. From that point on, Chris knew what he wanted to be a Basketball coach. 

Chris was asked by Mr. Boccanfuso, “What are colleges looking for?” Chris replies with “Well there is a school for you out there no matter what career you want to major in. Colleges are looking for how involved you are, progression, improvement, outside of the classroom, athlete because we want to bring people in to be part of the community. They don’t wanna bring someone in who is not going to participate as much. You don’t need to know what you want to do in the future as long you are there to be part of the community.” He explains how for his first coaching job he made $1,000. He suggests students to finish their application because then colleges won’t pursue you and it’s better if you can stay overnight in a dorm. “There’s so many different schools, it depends on what you want to pursue, I would suggest moving since it is such a big world out there. I spent over 18 years in North Indiana. I have never thought in a million years I would be in Indiana. 

Students have learned a lot from teachers and especially from Chris Schnatz. Coaching for Chris was fun and finding out you can make a career out of it. Chris explains how in the Merchant Marine Academy, if you are freshman you would have to stay in dorms at the school since it is their first year as he explains it he puts it as ranking. If you are a senior, you can stay at the school and some days you can leave. As you work your way up, you have more opportunities and privileges. He gives each and every student luck going to college and figuring out what they want to do for a living and students appreciate all the advice Chris Schnatz has given.