Lindy’s Best: Jake Albert

Lindys Best: Jake Albert

“Of course, everyone has obstacles no matter how much planning you do, and it’s simply about bouncing back from adversity; Oftentimes, it’s about enjoying the process and staying focused on the present without worrying too much about the past or future”.

As the 2023 Cross Country season ends, the community of Lindenhurst has recognized our top runner, Jake Albert. The State-Qualifying, team captain is a junior here at Lindenhurst Senior High School. All of Lindenhurst is extremely proud of Jake and some even look up to him as he achieves his remarkable goals and continues to strive for success. Here at the Charles Street Times, I interviewed Jake to spotlight one of Lindy’s Best! 

When and how did your running journey start?

“For years, I had tried out a bunch of different sports and I played soccer for quite a while. Towards the end of 7th grade, when I was still a soccer player, I wanted to try out track and field to help me stay in shape. I was always told I was pretty fast but I had never considered running seriously until I first started running the mile. My coaches and teammates told me I was pretty good at running and I ended up loving running. By eighth grade, I started doing cross country/track as a main sport rather than just staying in shape for soccer and realized this was something I wanted to do in high school, and maybe even beyond”. 

What motivates you to continue every day? 

“For me, running is a very rewarding and motivating sport. There are no shortcuts to getting better and your hard work shows in every race that you run. The thrill of chasing faster times drives me to push past what I think I’m able to do and I set clear goals to achieve. Besides this, running has been sort of therapeutic and relaxing for me. I go on runs almost every day to clear my mind and I think that doing this allows me to relax and calmly reflect on who I am, how far I’ve come, and what’s waiting in my future”. 

Who or what inspires you to accomplish your goals? 

“Over the years, I’ve had many people that have really inspired me and shaped who I am today. First, my coaches have been there for me since the summer of my freshman year, giving me guidance and support along the way no matter if it’s a workout or championship. My teammates have also been a constant source of moral support and encouragement since the moment I joined the team. I remember looking up to those who were faster and older than me, hoping that one day I would be where they are, and having people push me to do better helps tremendously. Lastly, in meets and races, you get to meet a lot of new people and other runners who share the same passion and drive to become better. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting many other top athletes who have astonished me with the incredible amount of work they put in, and it serves as a reminder that running is one of those sports where almost anyone can improve by simply putting in the hours”. 

How do you feel being ranked top 30 runners in New York State? 

“Being ranked one of the top 30 runners in the state truly surprised me. Back as a freshman, I could have only dreamed of making it to the State Qualifying meet, let alone the state meet itself and beyond. I would’ve never thought I’d be where I am today and I’m grateful for all the help I’ve had to help me achieve and exceed my goals. As much as I celebrate getting to this next level of running, I’m always looking to improve and hopefully, I’ll come back even stronger next year”. 

How do you keep a balance between academics and athletics? 

“Keeping a balance between academics and athletics involves constant hard work and time management on a daily basis. There are only so many hours in a day and it’s very hard to do so many things at once in high school. I apply the same mentality of discipline and perseverance to everything I’m a part of, and for me, it’s more about choosing what matters most to you and putting in 100%. I’m a big planner and try to allocate my time accordingly to not spread myself too thin. Of course, everyone has obstacles no matter how much planning you do, and it’s simply about bouncing back from adversity; Oftentimes, it’s about enjoying the process and staying focused on the present without worrying too much about the past or future”. 

How do you feel about the transition between Cross Country and Winter Track and Field? 

“The transition between Cross Country and Winter Track is both the best and worst part of the athletic year for me. On one hand, it’s nice to take a break every once in a while and go lighter, but at the same time, a new season means it’s time to start building back up in mileage and intensity from last season. Personally, I prefer Cross Country much more than Winter Track since running on an indoor track comes with an entirely new set of challenges from the hilly courses of cross country. Training from season doesn’t vary too much but it takes a bit to get adjusted to the faster pace of track. As I keep progressing, this transition from season to season gets shorter and shorter as my post-season gets longer. This makes it harder to start training for winter track, which is one of the reasons why the transition can be a little tough”. 

In your opinion, what is the most important aspect of teamwork and success? 

“In my opinion, the most important aspect of teamwork and success is balancing your needs with those of the team. As a captain, I realize the importance of prioritizing teamwork and how much my teammates and I motivate each other to work harder. However, as much as the success of your teammates can uplift you, it ultimately depends on how much you put into the sport and what you’re willing to do. Success comes both through the team and the individual; the most important part is managing both”. 

Do you have a certain routine that helps you reach your outstanding performance?

“As most sports do, running comes with its little superstitions and pre-game rituals. Each day before I have a meet I make sure to “carb-load:” by eating high-energy foods like pasta, rice, or salmon to fuel me for my race. When it comes to meet day, I try to be consistent with my routine, starting my warmup at the same time before each race, and trying to get focused mentally, since a good mentality can make or break a race”. 

How did you feel knowing you qualified for states? 

“Knowing I qualified for states was exciting. With a state such as New York being so competitive for running, I knew that making states meant I was racing against some of the best runners in the nation and I was very grateful to be able to go. There are only 5 spots for individuals to make states, and last year I was so close but just wasn’t there. Getting to that 3rd place spot in the State Qualifier was a huge feat for me because I realized just how much of an improvement I had. Going into the state race, I didn’t put too much pressure on myself, I was just happy to be able to run and tried to do my best”. 

What is next? What happens after states? 

“After states come Federations, which is a combination of public, private, and Catholic high schools in New York. This is a much larger and more competitive race. After this comes the Nike Cross Country Regionals, which comes with the hope of potentially qualifying for nationals. When it comes to this part of the season, it’s important for me not to put too much pressure on myself and enjoy the experiences. After running these races this season, I hope to gain valuable insight on the tougher challenges that await and set my sights beyond just states”.