13 Reasons to Watch Season 2

Sarah Quinones, Editor

Finally, the time everyone has been waiting for has arrived! The news is the cast of 13 Reasons Why has finally finished filming season 2. Even though the cast hasn’t release the exact premiere date, we should expect it in the near future. With the same rousing characters and a “very different” Hannah Baker we can expect more flashbacks that reveal the pain that Hannah suffered before ending it all. Season 2 will also offer new characters such as Bryce’s dad, Tony’s boxing teacher, and new character named Cyrus. This season will illustrate how our favorite characters recovered from Hannah’s tragedy. This will help us understand their struggles more in depth and even see new relationships form.

After being Netflix’s most tweeted show of 2017, 13 Reasons Why hit the hearts of teens around the world. According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in America, and 13 Reasons Why brings light to mental health and teen suicide. In the show, the main character Hannah Baker is having a hard time adjusting to her new school and it doesn’t help that the boys there see her as fresh bait to pounce on. This makes her high school experience less desirable and harder to cope with. Over a series of events with feeling helpless and as if no one was there for her, she commits suicide. What was really surprising was the fact that her parents had no idea that she was feeling this way until it was done.

Afterward, her parents and friends were devastated, however they had no idea, which shows that you don’t know what other people around you are going through. Many teenagers in high school don’t realize that anything you say can affect another person in a positive or negative way. This is why we should always be nice to everyone because we have no idea what that person might be going through, whether it’s in their home or within themselves.

13 Reasons Why taught us so much as a community and exposed to parents, teachers, and students the harsh life that a teenager may have. This way the parents and teachers will have a better understanding of why students struggle in school. There has been many times that teachers and parents don’t know exactly what to do to help their child that may be going through a similar situation. 13 Reasons Why taught them to do something no matter what because they wouldn’t want their children or students to be pushed to this extreme.

Suicide and mental health is not something to take lightly, because its a serious topic that affects children around the world. Notice the signs and seek help, also enjoy 13 Reasons Why and the message they want to send to teens across America and around the world.