A Musical Day in Disney World!

Orchestra Students Travel to the Most Magical Place on Earth for the Experience of a Lifetime

Jarred Navarro, Sports Editor

A tale to become as old as time! A select group of 23 students from Lindenhurst Symphony Orchestra, along with conductor Mrs. Lombardo, her family, and a few chaperones  flew down the most magical place on earth for the experience of a lifetime. This trip was made possible through the Disney performing arts program.

The idea to travel to Disney originally came while the current seniors were in 8th grade. Conductor Mrs. Lombardo tried planning for the orchestra to take a trip to London, but in the end, it did not work out. A few years later, while the seniors were in their junior year, they recalled that time and decided to organize another field trip that more students and parents would be willing to do. Mrs. Lombardo looked into Disney’s performing arts program, and within a few days, it was agreed upon and officially in action. The following year, the students of the Lindenhurst Symphony Orchestra would make their way to Disney!

The group departed for JFK airport from the Lindenhurst Senior High School right after the end of the 8th period on Tuesday, March 27, 2018. Traveling with JetBlue, the group landed at MCO airport in Orlando Florida approximately 7:00 p.m. eastern time. Throughout the week, the students and chaperones spent their nights at the Disney All Star Music Resort. The first full day in Orlando, the group traveled around Disney’s Animal Kingdom as little groups of their own, and then at around noon departed for Disney’s Magic Kingdom where they spent the remainder of their day. On the second full day, the students traveled to Disney’s Hollywood Studios who in accordance with the Disney Performing Arts program, had a special workshop to attend. At this musical workshop, the students became honorary musicians at Disney for the rest of the week. Under the command of Julian Bond, one of the top musicians of Disney, students learned about the life and work of a Disney musician and played a few short ensembles of classic Disney music. After the workshop concluded, the group spent two and a half hours in Hollywood Studios before departing for the Animal Kingdom, where the rest of their day was spent. On the groups last full day in Orlando, Florida, they began their day in Disney’s Epcot. Around one in the afternoon, the group set off for their big performance in Disney Springs. They played four pieces including The Star of County Down, from the Gallagher Gal, How Far I’ll Go, from Disney’s animated film Moana (2016), The Waltz, by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, and Iditarod, by Soon Hee Newbold. After the performance, the group was transported back to Epcot, where they enjoyed the rest of their day. The next day, Saturday the 31st of March, the group took a JetBlue flight back to JFK airport and finished their magical journey at the high school, where it began.

Aimee Chen, a cellist of the Lindenhurst Symphony Orchestra, stated in an interview, “I really enjoyed the Disney Trip with my fellow peers of the orchestra. It was one of my favorite trips I’ve ever had and I would definitely go back to Disney again with my family so they can experience the same magical adventure I went through.” Mrs. Lombardo, the conductor of the Lindenhurst Symphony Orchestra, stated in an interview, “This trip was a terrific experience.  The students worked very hard to prepare for their performance at Disney and I believe that their dedication truly paid off.  They performed with confidence in front of a large public audience and represented Lindenhurst with pride.”