Psicotics take Detroit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Psicotics take Detroit

Thomas Vine, Staff Writer

The Psicotics recently journeyed to Detroit to compete in the world championships for First Robotics. The team took the best with fellow Long Island team the Red Dragons who are based out of Massapequa. They had left shipping their robot to the event the day before the event to avoid having to drive it their themselves.

The team did very well coming in a respectable 30 out of 67 in the Tesla division. However the team did not qualify for advancement into the playoff matches. The Psicotics won most of their matches winning six and losing four. This brings the total number of matches they competed in to ten. The team was never disqualified which is always a good sign. The robot named Athena as mentioned in previous articles did extremely well. The programing portion of the robot worked extremely well thanks to the programmers (Aidan Downey and Richard Pawelkiewicz).

This season has gone really well for the Psicotics. They did well at both Rochester and Hofstra Two and they did amazing at Hofstra One. They have had a few missteps along the way to the championship (a uncalibrated scale comes to mind). Their climber being one key problem that took much longer than anticipated to complete. They also had to abandon a bunch of ideas before settling on a final design. Some problems they had encountered were, the bot being over the weight limit and the planned device that would hoist other robots up when our team went to climb which was just not practical.

All in all the team did really well this year. The fact that they were even able to go to the championship is an achievement in of itself because of how few teams actually get to go. So here’s to a great season and an even better ones to come.

Thomas Vine, Freelance Writer

Thomas vine is a junior who enjoys playing guitar, watching movies, and hanging out with his friends. He also enjoys playing video games and swimming....