Lindy Goes to “In The Heights”

Joselyn Osorio, Staff Writer

As the school year comes to a close, many students are going on well-deserved field trips. Last Thursday, students attended a showing of In The Heights at the John W. Engeman Theatre in Northport. The trip was for students of the theatre arts, drama, and english classes. Prior to the performance, they went to an Irish Pub called Napper Tandy’s. Freshmen Isabelle Camacho says, “That was my favorite part because we all sat and talked. It was lots of fun.”

Lin-Manuel Miranda’s first broadway hit Musical was In the Heights. He later went on to compose 21 Chump Street, Bring it On: The Musical, and of course, the hit musical, Hamilton. In the Heights tells the story of characters’ lives over the course of three days. It is set in Washington Heights, a poor but low crime neighbourhood in the Northern Manhattan. In this Latino community, we meet young couple Usnavi and Vanessa. She is a hairstylist, while he is a bodega owner with a dream of owning a bar in the Dominican Republic. One of the money conflicts faced is that of Nina’s who is a smart girl considered, “the one who got out.” Even in attending an impoverished school, she manages to be accepted into Stanford. She is in love with a boy she’s known for years, but her parents want her to focus on school. Nina doesn’t know how she will be able to continue paying for her tution. Throughout, audience members heard salsa, merengue, hip-hop, and soul music.

The Broadway Musical was nominated for thirteen Tony Awards and won four. It received Best Musical, Best Original Score, Best Choreography, and Best Orchestration. In addition, it earned a Grammy Award for Best Musical Show Album.

All in all, it is extremely well orchestrated, using music and dance to help display culture. It allows students to take a look into the struggles faced by minorities living in low class communities.