Dodgeball for Team Nicole

Anthony Colavito, Sports Editor

On Friday November 9th, Lindenhurst High School hosted a club wars event. This time around, it was a dodgeball tournament. School clubs and one independent team participated in this night of fun. It was five dollars per participant and all proceeds went to Mr. Seaman, who’s wife is currently battling breast cancer. Lindenhurst has been doing everything they can to raise money for them. The Key Club started the “Team Nicole Challenge” which was a challenge which required five dollars and it was a ten push up challenge. This spread around the school like wildfire, as it raised over 1,000 dollars. The tournament was run by Mr. Rossillo and was sponsored by the Italian Club.

The night was an overall great night. Mr. Rossillo, the man who ran the entire night, had the time to come and sit down with us here at the Charles Street Times. He had a lot to say about the night of fun. “These kids are incredible. Over 100 kids on a Friday night when they could’ve been doing who knows what, they were all together on a Friday night playing for a good cause.” There were many teams playing in the tournament. Teams were either made up from school clubs, or teams that just wanted to go in and have fun and support Team Nicole. The clubs that participated were NHS, Environmental Club, Drama Club, Conesquire Club, Science Club, DECA, Spanglish Club, Italian Club, Robotics Club, and many more school clubs.

“These kids are incredible. Over 100 kids on a Friday night when they could’ve been doing who knows what, they were all together on a Friday night playing for a good cause. ”

— Rossillo

There were not many independent teams, but the one that stood out was the team, Senju. They were a group of friends who went into the tournament just to have fun. The team consisted of freshman Jairo Caceres, sophomores Anthony Colavito, Alba DeJesus, Adolfo DeJesus, and Jess Delaney, junior Edwin Contreras, and seniors Ryan Meisner and Adam “Swaggy Papi” Quintanilla. We asked Adolfo about his overall thoughts on the night and he had this to say, “I forgot it was for a fundraiser. I walked in and got serious.” The night had many games including winners and losers brackets. But at the end of the night, the finals were a three game series between NHS and the Spanglish Club. Everyone surrounded the court and got loud. The gym was split 50/50, and the tensions rose. NHS ended up winning in the end. The gym went nuts. When asked whether he would play again next year, Jairo Caceres said, “I would play again next year. My team will place higher than 4th next year.” Like many of the students participating, they probably will play next year for a different charity. Overall it was a great night for everyone to get together and have a great time for a great cause.

Anthony Colavito, Sports Editor

Anthony Colavito is a sophomore at Lindenhurst High School. This is his first year writing for the Charles Street Times. Colavito is also a member of the...