Super Bowl LIII Predictions

The big game is right around the corner, and this is the breakdown of both teams playing.

Anthony Colavito, Sports Editor

It’s that time of the year again. People all over America are getting ready for the big game once again. Super Bowl 53, or LIII in roman numerals, will take place Sunday February 3rd. The AFC will once again represented by Tom Brady and the New England Patriots. The NFC will be represented by the young, star studded Los Angeles Rams.

Starting on the side of the NFC, this is the first time the Rams are in the Super Bowl since Super Bowl 36, when they were lead by Kurt Warner and lost to Tom Brady and the Pats to give Brady and the franchise their first championship . They are lead by the youngest head coach in NFL history. Sean McVay, who is now 33 years old, was hired in January at the age of 30. He lead the Rams to an NFC West title last year, but lost in the Wild Card Round to the Atlanta Falcons. McVay went off in free agency and with trades this offseason. He acquired Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib, who are two top tier cornerbacks in the league. They lost Sammy Watkins, but acquired star wide receiver Brandin Cooks in a trade with the Patriots. Jared Goff had a great breakout year last year in his sophomore season after a bad rookie season under than head coach Jeff Fisher. They also signed free agent Ndamukong Suh. And all the players from last year improved. Aaron Donald proved that he is the best defensive player in the NFL and star running back Todd Gurley finished second in rushing yards this season. The Rams are very talented, but they didn’t get to the big game without controversy. In the 4th quarter with the game tied, the Saints needed a first down to be able to milk the clock and kick a chip shot field goal to go to the Super Bowl in a walk off victory. On 3rd down, Drew Brees threw the ball to Tommylee Lewis, but he was hit before the ball got to him by cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman in a play where a pass interference is called, right? But there was no call on the play. And it brought up fourth down where the Saints went up 23-20 with 1:42 left on the clock. The Rams were easily able to drive down the field and tie the game to send it to overtime. With the overtime rule in the NFL, if the team that possess the ball first scores a touchdown, then the game is over and the other team does not even get a shot at it. The Saints failed to score and the Rams won the game with a 57 yard field goal. The no call ended up costing the Saints the game.

Now looking at the AFC. The New England Patriots are in their 11th Super Bowl as a franchise, and Tom Brady is playing in his 9th career Super Bowl. The Patriots have had a rockier road to get to the big game. With an 11-5 regular season record, everybody counted out the Pats. People said that the Patriots roster wasn’t talented enough, especially the defense. Stephon Gilmore has proven himself to be shut down corner in the league. They crushed the Los Angeles Chargers in the divisional round and had to go into Arrowhead Stadium to take on the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game. The Pats came out hot ending the half leading 14-0 and having knocked Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes around all game, including a forced fumble caused by linebacker Kyle Van Noy. The Chiefs weren’t happy, and scored three plays into the second half. Some big plays by Sony Michel and Julian Edelman on third down came in clutch throughout the whole game. Chris Hogan also had some incredible catches, even though one of them was overturned. And like the NFC Championship game, this went to overtime after the Chiefs tied the game with a field goal. Special teams star Matthew Slater called heads on the coin toss and won. He elected to take the ball. Tom Brady drove the Patriots down the field with some big 3rd and 10 conversions that eventually lead to a Rex Burkhead walk off touchdown. The Patriots have been the underdogs all season, and they wouldn’t want it any other way. Julian Edelman kept yelling “Your’e too f****** old” to Tom Brady to keep him motivated on the sidelines. This is the most motivated and determined Patriots squad with the most heart.

This game will come down to coaching and experience. The Rams only have 4 players on their lineup that have been to a Super Bowl. And most of the Patriots have been to the big game. Bill Belichick will out coach Sean Mcvay. The final score will be 31- 27 and Tom Brady will win his sixth Super Bowl ring. And Julian Edelman or Trey Flowers will have a big game and win Super Bowl MVP.