LHS Introduces Lock-down Drills

LHS has upped the lock-down protocol.

Mr. Campbell tests a door for security.

Courtesy of J. Kelly

Mr. Campbell tests a door for security.

Marquis White, Staff Writer

Things had to be changed. With the recent events of shootings worldwide, actions must be taken. From schools, to churches, to social events, there are no limits for who could be the next victims of a shooting. Because of this, Lindenhurst High School has incorporated something important. In addition to fire drills/evacuation drills, they have added lock-down drills.

LHS has upped the lock-down protocol. All students in a classroom are to get up and move to a corner. The teacher must turn off the lights, lock the doors, and follow the students. This is where it gets tricky. Usually teachers assume that when they hear a knock, it’s a signal meaning the drill is over. That isn’t the case. School authorities just want to test and see if they will open the door. Obviously in a real life situation, you aren’t supposed to do anything like that. As of now, it is a good opportunity for teachers to learn. It may end up saving lives later on. Mr. Campbell was interviewed about the goal of the drills. He stated, “Student safety. It’s very simple. Not only students, but faculty. Kindergarten kids seem to have no problem with the drill process, High School students seem to have a some difficulty. It’s a learning curve.”

Mr. Campbell also spoke on how the school performed in the drills previously. He explained, “Beginning of the year, it was less than acceptable. Staff and students have improved dramatically. It gets better every single time. It’s all about practice.” Mr. Campbell made a statement about what the school could possibly do better.  “Play it like it’s real. We don’t want anyone having an anxiety attack, but taking it seriously is a key part.”

Along with the lock-down protocol, there have been more all around adjustments. Students have been given ID cards. They are told to wear them in order to make sure they are students at Lindenhurst. Once again, this is all in hopes to prevent something tragic happening. LHS feels we could never be too careful. The shootings have occurred all across the world, places where you’d least expect it. Everyone should play a role in improving safety for the better. Mr. Campbell mentioned how the ID cards contribute to school safety. “Student Identification is most important. At some point, hopefully the cards will get you into the gym, library, etc. But that would be down the line.”

The drills occur selectively, but they are planning to try and do another three before the school year has ended. Students and teachers will continue to get better as the process goes on. There have already been four drills so far in the year. Lindenhurst has made a big step. In addition, so have some other schools. This is necessary not only for the safety of the innocent, but for the safety of the world.