Why Russell Wilson Will Win 2020 NFL MVP

Russell Wilson is lighting up the stat charts so far in the 2020 season. Anthony Colavito breaks down why he will finally win MVP this season.

Anthony Colavito, Editor in Chief

Photo via ProFootballTalk – NBC Sports

Russell Wilson has been a dominant force in the NFL since entering the league in 2012. Wilson is a player that many people believe could end up being a top 10 quarterback in history by the time he retires. He is a six time Pro Bowler and a Super Bowl Champion. But one thing that has avoided him in his career is NFL MVP. He has thrown for over 3,000 yards in every season of his career, and the most touchdowns he has thrown in a season was 35 back in 2018. But with consistently great numbers, it still was never enough for him to win the MVP award. Players like Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes outshined Wilson in those years. If there was an MVP award for the last five years, it would be Russell Wilson based on his consistent numbers and winning consistency. And he will finally get over that hump this year. 

Now looking at the Seahawks roster on paper, this is the most loaded offense that Wilson has had to work with. D.K. Metcalf is turning into a number one receiver that some prospects didn’t think he could do going into the draft. He has become a dominant force putting up 900 yards and 7 touchdowns last year. He blossomed a little late, but is poised for a great sophomore season. Chris Carson has also become the best running back Wilson has played with since Marshawn Lynch. And if Josh Gordon gets reinstated by the league, this offense is going to be scary. Wilson also has a defense that can back him up. Sure it is not as good as The Legion of Boom from their Championship winning team, but it is something that Wilson can rely on to keep offenses off the field so he could do the scoring. The defensive line is probably the worst part of the defense. The linebacker trio of Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, and Bruce Irvin will call the shots, especially with Bobby Wagner in the middle. And newly acquired safety Jamal Adams will lead a stacked secondary. The Seahawks could go really far this year, and if Wilson puts up great numbers he will win MVP. That is all if the Seahawks are the best regular season team. 

The NFL MVP is voted for during the week going into the Super Bowl, meaning the regular season and playoffs have already been played up to that point. More importantly the regular season has been played, which is what the award is pretty much based off of. Let’s look at the last two seasons. Going back to 2018, Patrick Mahomes won NFL MVP. He had a phenomenal season with 5,097 passing yards and 50 touchdowns, numbers we haven’t seen in a very long time. But what helped him was the fact that the Chiefs were the best regular season team that year. Some people look at the MVP to be the best player on the best team. No matter what other players stats are. Looking at the NBA for example, Giannis Antetokounmpo of the Milwaukee Bucks was the NBA MVP for the last two seasons despite the Bucks not going to the finals either of those years. Though the Bucks were the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference this year and MVP voting is before the playoffs. There are some people that believe Lebron James should have more MVP awards since he was on the best team in the league some of those years. But enough about the NBA, let’s go into last year’s NFL MVP, Lamar Jackson. Jackson also put up numbers like we have never seen before. Jackson put up 3,127 passing yards on top of 36 passing touchdowns and only 6 interceptions. But what gave Lamar the boost over everyone else in the league last year was his running ability. Jackson did things with his legs that we haven’t seen since Mike Vick was a star with the Falcons back in the early to mid 2000’s. Jackson even broke the record for most rushing yards by a quarterback in a season with 1,206 yards. With all of these stats and crazy numbers, what helped Jackson even more is that the Ravens went 14-2 in the regular season last year, and were the best regular season team in football. This keeps going with the trend in the NFL that the best player on the best regular season team wins MVP. Now in the last two seasons, the MVP didn’t reach the Super Bowl. The last MVP to do that was Tom Brady back in 2018. 

With the statistics from last year and the year before being taken into account, the Seahawks have the potential to be the best regular season team. Their division is the toughest in the entire league and they have some pretty tough matchups with the Patriots, Cowboys, and Bills. Despite the tough schedule, Russell Wilson has played in the toughest of games and environments, and knows how to get the job done. This will be the year that he really shines through in those situations with the team he has around him. Russell Wilson will lead the Seahawks to be the best team in football and put up the stats to prove it, making it an easy decision for him to be voted as the league MVP.