UNrequired Reading in LHS

UNrequired Reading in LHS

After a full high school career, an average student reads about 25-30 books over the course of 4 years. If that seems like a lot, it’s only 6.25 books per year. With the different courses offered here in the high school, such as Regents, Honors, and AP, not every student reads the same books. As you enroll in more challenging classes, the number of books you read may drop due to time spent on analysis and deep reading. Regardless, there are many books that teachers believe are so important for the lesson or writing that students should read before they leave Lindenhurst High School.

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Out of 13 responses from English teachers in the middle and high school, 4 of those teachers all agreed that To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee was the optimal book for students to read, especially at an 8th grade level so they are exposed to it early. 

GoodReads: 4.3 / 5 

Barnes and Noble: 4.5 / 5

“It conveys themes that are universal.”

The issues that it addresses are highly teachable and can be connected to history and real-world issues.”

“It is a classic novel that encompasses so many lessons, such as empathy, integrity, kindness, etc. Students love the plot, and it is a book they will always remember. Looking back on my high school years, I still remember To Kill a Mockingbird to this day.”

2. Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger

3 out of 13 teachers all agreed that Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger is the one book all students should read. This book is taught in high school and typically read in 12th grade since it is a book about growing up. 

GoodReads: 3.8 / 5

Barnes and Noble: 4.2 / 5

“Holden is a relatable character for high school students. He is also an excellent case study for depression, anxiety, paranoia, and mental health in general. The theme of loss of innocence is imperative for readers in their late teens.”

3. Hamlet by William Shakespeare

Out of 13 teachers, only 1 said they believed Hamlet was the most important, but their reasoning was pretty convincing. This book is taught in high school at an 11th grade level.

GoodReads: 4 / 5

Barnes and Noble: 4.3 / 5

“It focuses on numerous internal struggles (both mental and emotional) that many people face in their daily lives and throughout their lives”

4. Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Out of 13 teachers, 1 believed that Tuesdays with Morrie was the most impactful book for students to read, and I believe it is due to the subject matter.

GoodReads: 4.1 / 5 

Barnes and Noble: 4.2 / 5

“Seldom does a book allow students to emotionally connect. A student revisits his dying teacher and recounts glory days.”

5. My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Despite the very dark subject within this book, My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult was a book  that 1 teacher believed was the most impactful for students to read before leaving high school. 

GoodReads: 4.1 / 5

Barnes and Noble: 4.6 / 5

“It highlights several elements of a dysfunctional family. I believe that students don’t speak about what is going on in their lives due to the stigmas attached to things that tear families apart such as death, addiction, divorce, etc., causing them to withdraw and become depressed due to the inability to relate to others. The novel not only examines the dysfunctional family, but it also sends a clear message that the elements of our lives and families that cause dysfunction can also be blessings that force us to find strength where we never knew we had it.”

6. The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien

Despite being a book about war, The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien is a book that 1 teacher believed was a book that all students should read. They chose this book due to the writing of it, and the message within the book. 

GoodReads: 4.1 / 5

Barnes and Noble: 4.1 / 5 

“It is a skillfully written book and a poignant story about the effects of war. My other choice would be Life of Pi. It is a book that celebrates the resilience of the human spirit. It is difficult to pick just one!”

7. A Long Walk To Water by Linda Sue Park

This book is typically taught in 7th or 8th grade English classes but one teacher responded and said that A Long Walk To Water by Linda Sue Park was the most impactful book for students to read before graduating. 

GoodReads: 4.3 / 5

Barnes and Noble: 4.5 / 5

“It might not be one of the classics, but for me it is a must read because it helps remind us to be thankful for what we have. It shows our students that there are many parts of the world where kids have to fight for survival each and every day of their lives. Tik Tok, Instagram, Social Media, XBox, etc… are words that don’t even exist in their world because they are too busy worrying about where their next drink of water will come from and if they will make it to see another day.”

8. Night by Elie Wiesel

Although only one teacher responded and said Night by Elie Wiesel was the most important to read before graduating, this memoir from the eyes of a holocaust is an emotional but amazing read.

GoodReads: 4.3 / 5

Barnes and Noble: 4.5 / 5

Out of these 8 books, there are so many lessons and each one is beneficial in their own ways. Consider reading some of these in your free time if you are above the grade level they are read in, or even get ahead in some work by reading them. There’s a reason they have such high ratings by book companies and English teachers in LHS.