Polls

What is your favorite thing to do in the snow?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

A Look Into the Fashion Department: Mrs. Reismiller

As fashion becomes a striking topic of interest for some students, it may become interesting to learn about the teachers who make the fashion department of Lindenhurst High School as amazing as it is. One of the fashion based teachers is Mrs. Reismiller, who answered some interview questions about herself, and her passion for fashion. 

What inspired you to engage in a fashion-related career?

I have ALWAYS loved fashion!  Especially the fashion of the 80s and 90s.  I even remember flipping through my mother’s vogue magazines when I was little.  I used to do my mother’s hair and makeup (for fun) when I was little, and then I remember doing both my younger sisters’ hair and makeup. I would dress them up and they would do mock fashion shows.  I was also the hub for borrowing clothes.  My sisters used to wear my clothes and shoes when they got older (they still do)!  As far as working in a fashion-related career, it was a total accident!  I went to school to be an elementary teacher with a concentration in English.  I loved it and wound up being offered a job teaching 6th grade English.  At the last minute, the job was no longer available, and the principal offered me a FACS job.  I got my certification, and that was about 22 years ago.  After I had Emme 10 years ago, I was transferred to the high school where I began teaching the fashion courses. I love it!

What made you decide to become a teacher?

I have always loved children, and wanted to be a teacher since I was a little girl.  I think that my love for children is the main reason that I have become a teacher.

What are some of your favorite designers/ designer brands?

Some of my favorite designers are definitely high-end shoe designers.  I have always spent more money on shoes than clothing!  My favorites are Christian Louboutin and Manolo Blahnik.  I LOVE shoes and bags.  My favorite handbag designer is Parker Clay.  They have a wonderful mission and they help women in need.  They are so wonderful, and their handbags are all handmade by women.  Here is their impact statement: https://www.parkerclay.com/pages/impact

As far as clothing goes, I love anything that makes me feel beautiful!

Where did you go to college?

I went to St. Joseph’s college and LIU for my master’s degree.  I WISH I would have gone to FIT or Parson’s!

How did your education prepare you for this career?

I went to a “teaching school” and I do think that it helped me, but the most helpful thing was student teaching.  I also think that my first couple of years of teaching really helped me become more acclimated to running my own classroom.

Do you have a role model in your life? If so, who?

My mother is my role model.  She is a stay-at-home- mom, and I really aspire to be exactly like her.  She is seriously a Super Mom!  She is the best cook, and she always puts her children (and grandchildren) first.  I hope that my children appreciate me the same way that I appreciate my mother!

What advice would you give your students that want to go into fashion?

I think that fashion is a wonderful career to go into!  You have to have drive and passion and understand that the competition is fierce.  You have to be 100 percent dedicated, and really want it.  Always have a back up, and if you do not absolutely love it, I would not recommend pursuing it in college.