Polls

What is your favorite thing to do in the snow?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What Should You Look For When Looking at Colleges?

If you are a junior, this is an important year for you! You may start to look at colleges and have college visits. You want to visit colleges so you can get a feel for what your life after high school might look like. Visiting college campuses is very important especially if you are planning on going away to college and living on campus. You want to enjoy the place that you will be living for the school year. There are many important factors to consider when deciding which colleges you are interested in and where you might want to visit before actually visiting or applying to that college.

Things such as class sizes, majors offered, study abroad programs, dorm options, meal plans, price, etc. are all aspects that you should look into before deciding that you want to attend college there. If you do not know what you prefer regarding class and school sizes, visiting during the school year may be a good option. If you visit while classes are happening you may realize you want your college to be bigger or smaller than the one you visited. It also may be helpful to narrow down to the area that you want to go to school in. If you aren’t able to decide if you want to be as far as having to travel back and forth on a plane or as close as an hour or two drive, it may be difficult to choose which schools you want to visit and apply to. Applying to colleges can get expensive if you plan to apply to a lot, so knowing the schools you are applying to is important as well as visiting them. If you don’t love the school you visited, you should consider other options because there will be a school out there you like more than the one you visited. 

Visiting and learning about the colleges that interest you is important because that is the place you will be for a couple years after college. Going to a school that has the activities and classes you are interested in is the most important thing and should be something you consider when looking into colleges at this important time in your life.