AP Bio DNA Learning Center Field Trip

Julie Leon, Staff Writer

On January 12th, Lindenhurst High School’s AP Biology students headed to the famous DNA Learning Center in Cold Spring Harbor. Since its opening in 1988, its main focus has been to provide a hands-on approach when it comes to learning about DNA, and has been announced as the first public science center dedicated to education in genetics. Not only does the learning center have four laboratory classrooms, but an exhibit on human inheritance and evolution that students got to explore.

On this field trip, the students participated in an experiment working with DNA, enzymes, and scientific equipment not accessible to them at high school. Tools such as micropipettes, centrifuges, and electrophoresis chambers were unfamiliar to the students, but got to use them in this lab for the first time. Step by step instructions of the lab were given by one of the many educators at the DNA center, as well as a slide presentation about the crucial things you need to know in order to understand the contents of the lab. In this experiment, students gathered in groups and were given an unknown enzyme. DNA splicing and gel electrophoresis were used to figure out the enzyme they had. Though not every group had perfect lab results, the students had so much fun working in a new environment.

After the lab came to a conclusion, our students got a chance to roam around the learning center’s many museum exhibitions about evolution and inheritance. The “Our Human Inheritance Exhibition” featured a replica of Ӧtzi the Iceman, one of the oldest Neanderthal skeletons that was found in the Alps. The exhibit also displays human head skulls from different time periods to showcase a timeline on human evolution. This exhibit was very informative, and helped our students relate DNA to the evolution of life.

This field trip was a great opportunity to not only learn more about DNA, but experience working in new environments. This trip to the DNA Learning Center definitely created memories that convinced students to come back and visit in the future.