Polls

What is your favorite thing to do in the snow?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Argyle Fair

In the recent autumn months on Long Island our yearly traditions start to come back around. For Suffolk county or Babylon specifically there is the Argyle Fair. The Argyle Fair has been a staple within the community for years and recently been on September 17th every year. This fair showcases many aspects with concessions and a lengthy farmers market surrounding the Argyle Lake we are all so familiar with. However, even though these autumn traditions are very nostalgic they have also become extremely pricey. 

These farmers markets within our home towns feature home made items from their businesses and with such statements many “home-made” businesses have begun to hike up prices. Now even though these items are in itself they are seen as more valuable due to the setting rather than being bought in a retail store. For the foods and plants sold within these establishments Project Fare, discusses that such fertilizers and other processes to keep their items as authentic and organic as possible plays into the overall price. Furthermore, many other items sold at farmers markets seemed to be affected by recent strikes in inflation affecting prices ultimately as well. 

Now on the customer side, people are complying to these prices due to the rarity that is a farmer market. Farmer markets no matter what they are sellings clothes. home decor, foods, provide a different outlet than most customers are used to. This gives interest to average customers and eases them into such higher prices that people would normally turn down. As well, the idea that these places have unique items not sold in retail, though false, attracts many customers. The idea of “home-made” goods really excites the normal customer into thinking they have one of a select few of desirable items wanted by groups of people.

Even though this article discusses the economic disadvantages of these events, it is highlighted that overall these events are very enjoyable for the entire family or community. As long as you have a good boundary set you will be sure not to get lost in the madness of the new autumn buzz. As well, just to mention for local news next to the Argyle Lake even though it is not as large as the great Argyle Lake Fair there are small scale markets next to the lake every Sunday for most of this next fall season!