Polls

What is your favorite thing to do in the snow?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

AT&T and Gallaudet University Football Helmets

AT&T and Gallaudet University have collaborated to create a football helmet that allows Deaf football players to see the plays through a tiny lens in the helmet. Since the players at Gallaudet University cannot hear plays being called out by their coach and it can be extremely difficult to watch a coach sign as the players are in the middle of a game, AT&T and Gallaudet University came to a solution and designed a helmet that can enhance their ability to communicate on the field. 

As the coaches watch the game from the sidelines they can select a play to appear on the players screen so they know what to do. These helmets will lead to less miscommunication and penalties. These advanced helmets were first used on October 7th as Gallaudet competed against Hilbert College. Deaf and hearing football players practice and play the same way, the only difference between them is communication. While playing a sport, communication is one of the most important aspects of the game. With this new technology, Deaf players will be effectively able to communicate with their coaches and other players on the field. Nothing like this has ever been invented and could help so many Deaf people participating in sports, especially high school athletes. Deaf high school athletes can have trouble with communication because they are most likely the only person on the field that is not hearing. Because of this they could be looked down upon and find it extremely difficult to be a part of a sport. But with this new advancement, these Deaf players can enjoy the game and be as equally included as everyone else.

This new innovation will change the game for Deaf and hard of hearing athletes! It will open new possibilities for Deaf athletes around the world and the technology will just improve from here.