Polls

What is your favorite thing to do in the snow?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Gypsy Rose Blanchard

Gypsy Rose Blanchard is a woman who suffered a childhood of lies.

Dee Dee Blanchard, Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s mother, had a condition called Munchausen syndrome by proxy, which is when a person exaggerates a sickness in someone they are taking care of. In this case it was her daughter, Gypsy. Dee Dee made Gypsy, as well as many other people including family members, and even doctors, believe that she had multiple serious medical conditions and disabilities. She did this even though Gypsy was actually perfectly healthy. Gypsy was forced by Dee Dee to shave her head and ride around in a wheelchair. Although Gypsy was forced, she obeyed, looking for her mothers love and affection. Living like this but being around children and family members that are able to play and do simple everyday tasks independently could be damaging.

As Gypsy got older, she started to question her mother and wanted to live a life that didn’t involve her mother’s undivided and unnecessary caregiving. She soon figured out that she was a perfectly healthy young lady. Later on in life, Gypsy met a man named Nicholas Godejohn online and they began a very secret, romantic relationship in 2013. They later met in person in 2015 and together planned and carried out the murder of Dee Dee. As the murder was committed, Gypsy stayed in the bathroom while Nicholas murdered Dee Dee by stabbing her. 

After the murder, Gypsy and Nicholas were caught and arrested. Gypsy pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Nicholas was found guilty of first-degree murder and received a life sentence.

Today, after serving 8 years, out of a 10 year sentence, Gypsy is out of prison living her best life and spreading awareness regarding caregiving and the impact of Munchausen syndrome by proxy. Gypsy doesn’t hate her mom, but feels more saddened that this illness could make a person do such things.