Night School Review

Karissa Schaefer, Freelance Editor

The new comedy Night School came out September 28, 2018. It stars comedian Kevin Hart – who never fails to bring a laugh – as the main character of Teddy Walker. Tiffany Haddish co stars alongside Hart. From rave reviews of her work from Girl’s Trip, there was an expectation for her to be funnier; however, they still made for a great Night teacher-student duo.

Teddy Walker is a successful salesman for a company that ultimately ends in an explosion. He is forced to attend night school to get a better education than his high school years and achieve his GED. There are other misfits in his class and the principal of the school ends up being Teddy’s enemy from earlier years. Teddy’s lack of concentration and inability to comprehend learning things leads to the realization of his learning disabilities. The story brings to light that you can still succeed at life with a disability. Although a fictional character, Teddy’s story about an adult with learning disabilities is very real which many people suffer from and find it hard to get a job, but it is still possible.

Dropping out of high school was a choice that Teddy made that he may have not regretted at the time, but followed him later on in life. With the opportunity to attend night school, he is given a second chance, and then even another second chance after he exposes himself of cheating on a test. Teddy redeems himself, ultimately making his father, who states “I failed as a father,” feel happy for him in the end when he finally gets that diploma. Teddy’s fiancée in the movie gets angry at him for hiding night school from her when she discovers the truth. She gives him back the ring, but in the end, they end up back together, therefore showing another example of a second chance.

Although fun to watch, this movie overall failed to notice the cast’s full comedic potential that could’ve been used to the movie’s advantage. However, the seriousness of addressing a learning disability is respectable and themes of second chances are relatable.