Global Goals Week

Pictured+here+is+the+Amnesty+table+set+up+in+the+rotunda%2C+to+encourage+registration+for+the+club.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Global Goals Week

Pictured here is the Amnesty table set up in the rotunda, to encourage registration for the club.

Rachel Hanna

Rachel Hanna

Rachel Hanna

Jenna Johnson, Editor

From March 25th to March 29th, Lindenhurst took part in Global Goals Week, coordinated by Assistant Principal Mrs. Flannelly.  Global Goals Week consisted of five days dedicated to disrupting education and bringing various issues all over the world into the classroom. Some of the main objectives of this week which were highlighted in the presentations created by students.  These presentations focused around world peace, health and wellness, gender equality, and the refugee crisis. With the advent of new clubs such as Amnesty International, which centers around social justice, such issues were discussed by students in the rotunda as new members quickly signed up to join the newly formed club.

All throughout the week, in the library,  students created presentations discussing their issue of choice, as students from all over the school gathered to listen to these issues. These presentations were very interactive and engaging as students were asked to reflect on the problems plaguing their own communities and what steps they can take as individuals to help quell the epidemic of drug addiction, obesity, and gender inequality. Sabia Akand, a junior from Lindenhurst High school who is president of Amnesty had this to say about Amnesty International and Global Goals, “We need to spark change for justice. Amnesty International will help educate the students about world issues and show them how to take action. Change starts with us, and together we can bring an end to abuses on human rights”.

We need to spark change for justice. Amnesty International will help educate the students about world issues and show them how to take action. Change starts with us, and together we can bring an end to abuses on human rights”

— Sabia Akand

”.

As high school students, it is often easy to lose track of greater issues in the world. It is important to not be introspective but rather open and willing to make a change in one’s community. Global Goals Week seeks to start a discussion, rally up passion, and discuss controversial topics in hopes of beginning a change starting with our own communities. As issues such as heroin addiction and nicotine addiction affect many in Suffolk County it is important to inform high schoolers about the dangers of such actions, to prevent them from experiencing the potentially fatal fate of so many others before them, as a result of substance abuse.

Jenna Johnson, Editor

Jenna Johnson is a junior at Lindenhurst High School. Through the CST, she hopes to document the various current events in our community and expand the...