Peer Leadership 2020-2021

Natalie Hayden and Julia Goebels

Although this is a confusing and difficult time for many, the Peer Leaders have been attempting to mediate the Class of 2024’s confusion. In August, the Peer Leaders participated welcoming the incoming freshman into the High School, virtually of course. A successful Zoom meeting was conducted and freshmen were given a virtual map tour of the high school, along with other useful information. In addition, they have set up a Google Classroom to provide resources to each and every freshmen. The Google Classroom will begin having weekly Google Meets very soon, with each meeting being about a different topic. Some of these helpful topics include, “How to get involved; How to stay focused at home; time management; and how to fill out working papers.” The Peer Leaders are looking forward to working with the freshman class all year and providing them with as many resources as possible. 

The Peer Leaders have been reaching out to many freshmen on a one to one basis and helping them understand the importance of school.  We all understand that this is an extremely difficult time for many, and the Peer Leaders want every underclassmen to know that they can reach out for support.

The Peer Leaders are also planning to interact in Covid-friendly ways with the Special Education classes twice a month to teach them important life skills and lessons. Some ideas that have been brainstormed are: Pictionary via Google Meet, outdoor activities such as frisbee, and a virtual talent show during their class period. The Peer Leaders are extraordinarily excited to share smiles with the students, and can’t wait to meet them very soon.

In addition, the Peer Leaders have been keeping busy this October by preparing and participating for the Safe Halloween drive by event. The group’s theme was Spookley the Square Pumpkin, and they worked diligently to make all sorts of decorations. The Peer Leaders were very excited and looked forward to seeing young students since they are currently unable to visit Daniel Street like they had in previous years. Lastly, the Peer Leaders would like to encourage everyone to wear a mask and limit gatherings so we can stop the spread of the virus and return to normalcy as soon as possible!