Shirley Guenfoud: Being Positive

Patricia Sadowski, Staff Writer

Doesn’t a positive attitude provide a brighter day even if it’s raining outside? Does it now just automatically give you a boost to your day knowing you will have a good day? Positivity means thinking in an optimistic way, looking for solutions, striving for success, and focusing on making your one life the best one possible. When you are in a positive mindset, you are worry-free and you admire the bright side of things. It allows us to accomplish, or know we can, tasks we once thought were impossible.

What Is The Significance of A Positive Attitude?

Being happy everyday is a bit unrealistic. Bad days happen and that is totally okay. It’s essential to know that not everyday will be a day where we have a smile on our face. Not everyday will be a day where we feel energized. Not everyday will be a day where everything will go the way we want it to go. However, what’s most important to remember is the way we continue to approach that day. Shirley Guenfoud, a senior in Lindenhurst High School, has started a trend in which positive quotes are displayed each week. Shirley believes that smiles and laughs are the most contagious actions that humans can do. Humans rise by lifting others and by spreading friendliness, it produces that happier environment. She had noticed that in her own personal life and was able to communicate that, “Within my early years of High School, I was at my lowest points and have taken my insecurities and internal frustrations out on others and projecting that negative energy into the world. Today, I reflect back on those times and the personal and social consequences that had occurred due to this behavior, now understanding that by bringing others down it fed my insecurity and self pity.” 

What’s The Purpose?

A positive attitude can not only produce a brighter environment, but it can also improve our mental health. The start of everyday impacts the way we see the rest of the day, more than we can even comprehend, so it’s important to start it right. We never are aware of what individuals can go through on a daily basis. They might have serious things going on in their life or they can be living their best life, but it’s important to shred that light regardless. “The slightest gestures can make someone’s whole week; Kindness doesn’t cost a thing” says the student. Shirley hopes to emphasize the act of spreading positivity in Lindenhurst High School and even possibly develop the school’s focus on mental health. She feels that the start to a school day with positive quotes is the step in the right direction for this cause.

Advice 

In contrast, there are individuals out there who are going through a really rough time and one of the best ways to help that person is advice. Not only does it provide guidance, but it provides the affection that someone might be missing. The Lindenhurst High School student’s biggest suggestion is “To never ever give up. You’ve survived 100% of your worst days, and your best days are yet to come.” She only wants the best for our school and she wants the emotions to be embraced. It isn’t essential to end up in a “fairytale happily ever after,” but what is is to remember that no one is ever alone in any situation. The first step is to reach out to someone. Find that one person you are willing to vent to and decompress. Whether it’s a friend, a family member, school social worker, or a therapist. There is always someone who is inclined to direct you on the right path. 

Everyone has their own ways of coping with hard times, but what helps Shirley is reaching out to friends. “Although it’s been difficult for many to maintain social interaction during the pandemic, a phone call or video chat has the same effect as a get together.” Going for a simple action, whether it’s a good laugh or lighthearted conversation, it supplies Shirley with the proper comfort she is looking for. It enables a distraction and your mind focuses on the task at hand. When she isn’t feeling that communicative vibe, she states she likes to get her endorphins boosted. Whether it’s going for a run or lifting weights, “getting the body moving does its work for myself mentally and physically.” 

“You do not find the happy life. YOU MAKE IT.” – Camilla Eyring Kimball