Polls

What is your favorite thing to do in the snow?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Barbie Movie

The Barbie movie officially hit theaters on July 21, 2023. The movie was directed by Greta Gerwig and stars two of the biggest names in Hollywood, Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling. Barbie has taken the world by storm, earning over $1.4 billion at the global box office as of September 4, 2023. The movie was such a success that it has outlived the usual four-week window that blockbuster movies stay in theaters, approaching its eighth week.

The hype surrounding the movie came way before its theatrical release. The project had been in the works since December 2016, but was ultimately pushed back due to cast changes and the COVID-19 pandemic. Filming finally took place between March and July of 2022, when behind-the-scenes pictures began to create a lot of buzz for the movie. 

In the movie, Margot Robbie’s Barbie experiences an existential crisis and questions her life in Barbie Land. She heads to the real world to figure herself out, with Ken coming along for the ride. In the real world, Barbie learns about the struggles that real women face. Barbie realizes that the real world is a stark contrast to Barbie Land, which is run by women. Ken’s story follows him learning about the patriarchy and finally feeling like he has some control in his life. He heads back to Barbie Land to make the patriarchy a dominating force there. Once Barbie returns with a mother and daughter she met in the real world, Gloria and Sasha, they work together to dismantle the patriarchy that the Kens have built. In the end, the Barbies and Kens agree to start making changes to make Barbie Land equal for all. Barbie, after becoming infatuated with humans and feeling human emotion, decides to go with Gloria and Sasha back to the real world. 

The Barbie movie connected with so many people around the world because it encapsulated the struggles that so many women face. Barbie faces challenges that everyone can relate to like questioning your identity, struggling with your place in this world, and hiding your struggles in order to protect the people around you. The movie reminds people that we’re better because of our struggles and we all have room for improvement. Barbie has certainly made its impact on the movie industry and will continue to impact many lives for years to come.