Polls

What is your favorite thing to do in the snow?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Sports Injury Prevention

Playing sports and being an athlete can be fun, until you get an injury. Of course, during all sports, you’re likely to hurt yourself or be hurt in an accident, and that’s okay. Just to be safe, we should learn how to identify and treat these injuries. 

Concussions are a common injury that can happen during American football. These happen due to a hard impact. You can experience headaches, blurry vision, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, difficulty focusing, and lose your balance because of a concussion. These injuries can be serious, if you suffer from a concussion, make sure you seek medical care immediately.

Muscle strains, also known as a pulled or torn muscle, is also a common injury. Most soccer players experience these in their hamstring due to their kick to the ball. If you experience one of these, it’s recommended to take a break from your sport, or any exercise in general, and recover. Most of these strains are able to be healed on their own after a couple of days, but if the strain isn’t minor, physical therapy will be needed. Depending on the damage, surgery is a possibility, but is rare.

Finally, of course, the common fractures. Fractures are known as a small or full break in a bone. There are two types of fractures, open and closed. Open fractures, also known as compound fractures, are where the bone pokes through the skin and can be seen, or is a deep wound that can show the bone. Closed fractures are only where the bone is broken, and the skin isn’t ripped or damaged horribly. Both types of fractures are serious, so act accordingly and fast. Make sure to obtain medical attention immediately.

Hopefully while you’re playing your sport, doing physical activity, or anything that can risk injury, you confirm you’re safe. Always prepare for the worst.