Six Ways to Just Relax

Six Ways to Just Relax

The world seems crazy right now. It seems like people are going insane left and right and all sorts of weird events are happening. Sometimes, this can be very anxiety-inducing. Oftentimes, one needs to just take a step back from it all and relax. While everyone has their own way to do that, there are some key ways that one can relax: 

Take a break from the internet

The internet, and social media especially, can be a major source of stress in our lives. There’s lots of negativity and you can see all the bad things going on in the world on it. Taking some time to stay away from the internet, no matter how long, can help. Even if it’s for just a few hours, staying away from social media and the internet can help you get your mind off the many stressors it leads to and help you relax a lot more. This can be hard to do for sure, especially when you have loads of responsibilities that may require using the internet. However, if you do have the time where you don’t need to use it, a good idea might be to turn off the wifi on your devices or put them away for a day so you aren’t tempted by habit.  In order to do this, you’ll also need something else to do to keep entertained. You may want to hang out with friends and family or you can combine this with another tip on this list. 

Listen to music:

This tip may sound contrary to the previous one since the most common way to listen to music is through the internet. However, music, on its own, is a really great way for people to blow off steam. You can listen to music while doing a wide range of activities and it’ll definitely help you relax and feel more comfortable. The most important part is finding the type of music that helps you relax. Your relaxing music and the music you love most might not always be the same. Relaxing music is the kind that’ll make you feel the most calm and comfortable and help you just breathe. 

Go for a walk:

Just going for a walk is one of the best ways to calm your senses and just take in the world around you. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a long walk, even just a short walk can help you feel rejuvenated and relaxed. Studies have shown that walking, even just for 10 minutes, can increase your energy, mental alertness, and mood. Walking in the daylight can help increase your Vitamin D levels (Did you know that approximately 35% of adults in the US have a Vitamin D deficiency?). Having sufficient Vitamin D can also improve your mental health and make it easier to relax. When walking, make sure to take in your surroundings and look at the amazing nature and beautiful world around you. Sometimes taking a walk can be a nice escape from our daily life where we spend a lot of time inside. While walking, you can follow our second tip too and listen to some relaxing music. 

Work on a creative pursuit:
In our daily lives, with work and school, we sometimes have a lack of ability to express ourselves in what we do. One of the best ways to do that is via creative pursuits. This can include writing, drawing, painting, making music, building something, cooking, etc. It’s really anything that you choose to do to express yourself and your thoughts. Doing an activity like this that you enjoy and conveys who you are can be a relaxing and soothing experience. It doesn’t really matter about what you do or create or what the quality of it is, it just matters how it makes you feel and what you’re expressing. So, create to your heart’s content! And, you can also listen to music while doing this to make it even more de-stressing. 

Take a hot shower:

While it may be simple, taking a hot shower is an excellent way to relax and unwind from a difficult day. The warm water reduces tension in your body which can let you loosen up both mentally and physically. It also lets your body reduce oxytocin, a stress-reducing hormone in your body. The soothing sound of the water and the steam also makes warm showers a prime way to relax and also to think. In general, hot showers are an excellent way to take a break from everything else and let your body and mind relax.

Watch a comfort show: 

Ever find that one TV show that you enjoy so much and it just makes you inexplicably happy? That’s what a comfort show is. Typically, it’s a show with relatively light premises and plots that you can just sit down to watch after a rough day and just tune the rest of the world out. While they’re usually comedies or have some bit of humor incorporated, it’s really just about it being any show that just makes you feel good. When you want to just relax and decompress, watching a comfort show of yours can oftentimes help you escape from reality and your anxieties for a little while.