Polls

What is your favorite thing to do in the snow?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Orioles call up top prospect Jackson Holliday

The number 1 prospect in baseball made his long awaited MLB debut on April 10th. Jackson Holliday, son of former MLB player Matt Holliday, has been tearing up the minor leagues ever since he got drafted with the first overall pick in 2022. He holds the record for the largest signing bonus for a high schooler of all time with $8.19 million.

Holliday quickly rose to the top of the prospect charts after his first couple of weeks in the minors. He was officially named the number 1 prospect in baseball at the age of 19. Holliday started his minor league career with the Orioles Single-A affiliate, the Delmarva Shorebirds, where he had a slash line of .396/.522/.660 with six doubles, one triple, two home runs, and 16 RBIs in 14 games. He was quickly promoted to the Orioles Double-A affiliate and then less than 3 months after making his minor league debut, he was promoted to Triple-A where he batted .267/.396/.400 with two home runs and nine RBIs. After this season he was named the Baseball America Minor League Player of the Year.

Holliday was assigned to Triple-A for the start of the 2024 season even though he did amazing during spring training. He showed the Orioles he was major league ready after batting .333/.482/.595 with 2 home runs through 10 games. He ended his minor league career with a career batting average of .321.

Orioles fans and baseball fans in general were wondering when this kid was going to be brought up to the majors after tearing it up in the minor leagues for the last 2 seasons. But now that question has finally been answered after being called up to the majors on April 10th.

Now that Holliday is here in the major leagues, it dawns a new era of the game. Holliday is the third 20 year old to make his debut this year and is expected to reach superstar potential very soon. I’m very excited to see how Holliday and the Orioles do in their very hopeful future.