Polls

What is your favorite thing to do in the snow?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Remembering Carl Weathers

On February 1st, 2024, actor and director Carl Weathers, passed away at 76 years old. This news shook many, as he was a truly remarkable person. In this article, I will talk about Weathers’s life and what he has done over the years. Carl Weathers was born on January 14th, 1948 in New Orleans, Louisiana. As a kid, he was very into sports, and ended up getting a scholarship to St. Augustine High School. He played football during his high school and college years. After college, he joined the NFL and played as a linebacker for the Oakland Raiders. He left the NFL, but later joined the CFL, playing for the Lions.

Weathers also earned a bachelor’s degree in drama in 1974. That same year he retired from football to pursue his acting career. He often appeared as an extra in his early work, and did have a few good roles here and there, but what came next truly changed his life. Weathers auditioned for Apollo Creed in “Rocky,” with Sylvester Stallone in 1976. When Weathers criticized Stallone’s acting, he ended up getting the role. He appeared in each “Rocky” film as Apollo Creed until “Rocky IV” which was made in 1985. He appeared in “Happy Gilmore” alongside Adam Sandler in 1996. He played in many TV shows and films later on. He also starred in, and partially directed “The Mandalorian,” which would be his final work. Weathers will go down in history as a man of many talents. He had great athletic ability, great acting skills, and a great heart. Sylvester Stallone praised him for helping him with the “Rocky” films, and credits him for where he is today. He really did care about his work and how he could make things better. In my opinion, we should all strive to be somewhat like Carl Weathers. Rest in peace.