Polls

What is your favorite thing to do in the snow?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Solar Eclipse: Everything You Need to Know

There are so many different aspects to the solar eclipse, like safety, duration of the eclipse, how often this event occurs, and what parts of our country totality will occur in. Not too many places reached totality of the moon covering the sun, but some did. Many people enjoy watching the eclipse because of how rare this event is, but what do you need to know about it?

There were a couple of places in the United States where the eclipse reached totality. Some places where totality was reached were Dallas, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Montreal. Not many were able to experience this beautiful event, and many people even traveled to watch it happen. The eclipse does not occur often, in fact the last solar eclipse that the United States saw was in 2017, and we will not see another one until 2044.

What should people watching the eclipse know about safety? Well, there are some risks of looking at the sun directly during the eclipse, so solar eclipse glasses are recommended to those who will be watching. Some people can go blind from looking at the eclipse without the safe solar eclipse goggles. You may experience headaches, blurred vision, or dark spots. The eclipse will reach totality and remain there for about three and a half/four minutes. The entire eclipse duration is a little more than two hours. People can watch as the moon covers and uncovers the sun during these two hours. 

There are many aspects of the solar eclipse that people are not aware of. A lot of people did not know about the eye protection you must wear, how long the eclipse will last, or if their state will see totality. Everyone should be more aware about the next eclipse occurring in 2044, and all of the risk factors along with the fun facts behind it!