Polls

What is your favorite thing to do in the snow?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Alternatives to Going to College

Photo via unsplash.com

When they think of life after high school, a lot of people immediately think of college. The media and a lot of people push college as the main option. However, college isn’t for a lot of people. Everyone has their own path and college may not be what personally works for you. 

Trade School

One of the most widely spoken-about alternatives to going to college is trade school. Trades are jobs that require specialized training that usually lasts from nine months to two years. Trade schools give more hands-on experience as opposed to traditional classrooms seen in high school. The stuff you’ll be learning will apply directly to your field and you won’t learn any irrelevant filler information. While every trade is different, most trades offer unions and great apprenticeship positions with entry-level pay comparable to many college graduates. Specific in-demand trades like an electrician, HVAC, welder, plumber, etc. are in need and offer a lot of advancement. They give opportunities to work overtime and potentially make six-figures after some time. There are loads of trades and you’re bound to find something that you enjoy or are interested in, especially if you like working with your hands. For example, if you are interested in medical sciences, you can look into becoming a nursing assistant. If you like figuring out puzzles, you may be interested in becoming a locksmith. If you love food and experimenting with different flavors, you might want to become a chef. The possibilities are endless. 

The Military

For a lot of people, the military is an immediate write-off as an option, and understandably so. First of all, it has very strict medical requirements and physical fitness standards that a lot of people can’t adhere to. However, if you happen to have medical concerns that may prevent you from joining and are interested, now’s the time to try. The U.S. military currently has a recruitment shortage so they are more likely to give out medical waivers. In addition, increasing distrust in the government mixed with some misunderstanding about the military can definitely lead people to not want to even think about joining. Many people think everyone in the military is fighting in a war but the truth is that over 80% of military personnel have a non-combat job. Not everyone has to be a hardened soldier so if that’s not what you’re interested in, you don’t have to do that. The military has people from a load of different fields from paramedic to mechanic. While every job has a chance of being deployed to a combat zone, it’s much less likely with some jobs. Your job placement is ultimately determined by your ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) test score which tests you on arithmetic reasoning, word knowledge, paragraph comprehension, mathematics knowledge, electronics information, auto and shop information, and mechanical comprehension. The military provides hands-on training for your job which can oftentimes be given certificates the equivalent of going to trade schools and can convert to college credits. It also teaches some general life skills like teamwork, leadership, perseverance, etc. The military pay may not be great but it has a load of financial benefits such as free housing and food while in it, free education while in it, up to $36000 dollars a year after leaving (only eligible if you stayed in for four years), and down payment assistance on a home. The major negative to the military as opposed to both college and everything else on this list is there is no backing out because you’re on a contract, making it a much larger commitment. 

Work

It’s pretty crazy how people are expected to make major career decisions at 17 and 18 years old when they don’t have a large amount of work and adult experience. Being unsure about your future is absolutely okay. A lot of people who go to college end up deciding they don’t want to and drop out. Up to 32.9% of undergraduates at colleges do not complete their degree program. Taking some time after high school to just work a job might be a great way to figure out what you really want to do with your life. You may find a job or field you like or are interested in and decide you want to turn it into a career. There are many high paying jobs that don’t require degrees or any kind of schooling. For example, you can be a delivery driver, warehouse worker, flight attendant, postman, photographer, etc. Great places to look for jobs are with the federal or state governments, which are known for great benefits and job security. Your best bet to get these jobs is by taking civil service exams which test you on a variety of occupational subjects and can help you qualify for jobs and make your application stand out. You can check out https://www.usajobs.gov/ and https://statejobs.ny.gov/ to learn about these kinds of jobs and https://federaljobs.net/exams/ to learn more about civil service exams specifically. There’s also smaller certificates you can get online that don’t take too long, such as data science or IT which can help you gain some skills for your resume. 

There are various paths you can take with your life. These are just three very generalized paths as opposed to going to college. Don’t feel like you have to do anything just because other people say you should, do what you want to do and feel best for yourself. You definitely don’t need to know what you want to do right out of high school. Remember that no matter what you decide, you don’t have to stick to it. It’s never too late to change your mind and career.