Emotional Intelligence

Emotional+Intelligence

Kiana Azcona

In a New York Times article written by the Learning Network titled “What Students Are Saying About Emotional Intelligence, Speaking Their Mind at School and Underappreciated Sports,” students are asked about their emotional intelligence. It asks how they view themselves and their opinions on it. Emily, a student from Valley Stream North, gave her own insight on her self-awareness. She says “I would say I am fairly emotionally intelligent – this is something I feel I’ve gotten better at over time during the pandemic when I had much time to self reflect.”  Adolescents around the world were very affected by the pandemic and, like Emily, had time to reflect and reevaluate their past, present and future. Another student, Audrey, from Glenbard West High School, gave a more in depth explanation on why students need to learn about emotional intelligence especially throughout their middle school and high school years. Audrey says “this lack has especially been brought to light via the concerning rates of mental illness in gen z during the pandemic.”  Audrey also went on to explain that “if emotional intelligence was a curriculum based taught skill- more and more individuals would be able to avoid their own mental health struggles.” Gen Z is in fact a very aware generation and can recognize the struggles and challenges they face along with what has been a common issue for previous generations. Emotional Intelligence was not always as important or brought to light as it is now, but as this generation continues to move forward after such a difficult challenge and time during the pandemic, more awareness and opportunities are brought up to change and reinvent the lives of future generations and their mental health.