How Safe is LHS?

Adelyn Veras, Editor in Chief

Mass school shootings have become the most talked thing in America and the the thing that brings devastation to people’s hearts. According to abc15.com, within 61 days of the new year, 2018, there have been reportedly two dozen school shootings. This would mean that there is approximately a school shooting every three days. Since school shootings are becoming a frequent concurrence in the United States, this puts many principals, especially ours here at LHS, under stress to keep students safe.

Since Dr.Grant arrived on campus, he has been on a mission to make Lindenhurst High School safer than ever. During his first weeks in office, he met with all the security guards to make sure he established a relationship with the staff that keeps Lindy safe. Last year there were numerous bomb threats made to the school.  A way Dr. Grant has insured that this does not happen again is by enforcing the bathroom monitors to make sure everyone signs their name. However ¨justice must not only be done but also appear to be done.¨ Students who have threatened the safety of this building have been severely punished.

However it’s not just Dr.Grant that makes Lindy safe, but a group effort from the security guards, teachers and other principals around the district. Dr. Grant collaborated with all the staff members to find how we can improve the school. Many of the staff members, such as the security guards, brought up that cameras need to be installed so that every inch of the building is monitored. Not only is Dr. Grant looking to improve the school in every aspect that they can find, but Albany is watching too. Every year to make sure the school is up to date on their staff and safety codes, they must send a school report to Albany, NY.

Although this may be true, numerous people still feel unsafe for the fact that it is very easy for anyone to access the school. “We are putting a bandaid on the problem when the problem is more like the plague” said Ms. Floresta, a 12th grade English teacher. While yes anyone could access the school, it is up to the students to not open the doors and staff to say something if they see something unusual. However, nothing really goes past the Lindenhurst security. All of them have gone through training and all of them are retired police officers which means they can spot students that don’t belong to LHS. Not only does Lindy have great security who spot anything suspicious, but Lindenhurst High School has several procedures in line to make sure the students and staff are safe. If there is an active shooter in the area, the LHS will receive a notification from the police, there will be an automatic lock down of the doors and the police will patrol the area. If there was an active shooter in the school: each security guard at the gate will notify the staff where the shooter is, lock the doors to the classroom, turn off the lights and the all the children get in a corner.

While schools are trying to find a solutions, our President Donald Trump believes that teachers should be armed, a perfect example of adding to the problem than solving it. Many believe that teachers shouldn’t be armed, as well as Dr. Grant. “Teachers should be focusing on how to be educators and enlightening their students than having to be concerned about arming themselves and education at the same time” said Dr. Grant. Faculty and staff believe the access to school is the problem and to just have all the doors locked and only one opening to the school. According to Ms. Floresta, all doors should be locked and if opened an alarm should go off to notify the staff.

Due to the out cry for more safety in the schools, many have suggested the thought of having metal detectors at the entrances of schools. In spite of this seeming like a good idea, there may be very undesirable factors, such as the nightmare it would bring to the school such as scheduling and lack of trust. “Metal detectors only appear to make the school safe” said Dr. Grant. With the theory of installing metal detectors, it would bring a nightmare of scheduling 2,100 students to individually come into the school one by one. Not only does the scheduling pose a problem, but Lindy doesn’t have a large weapon problem to put this idea in motion.

The citizens of the beautiful town of Lindenhurst as well as the students and faculty have a right to voice their opinions for ways to improve our schools. The only way to take action is to be involved, so attend school meetings and show you have a voice.