CST: A Time of Reflection

Jarred Navarro, Sports Editor

As the last few days school dawn upon us, it is always nice to look back and reflect on the event of the previous few months. While everyone’s or everything’s story can be very different from each other, it is without a doubt that The Charles Street Times had quite a momentous development. Now let us go back, and watch this development one last time for the 2017-2018 school year.

As the 2017-2018 school year began, an immediate change was brought up to the students of the journalism class. The paper was now online! This ended the time of the school newspaper being printed and distributed throughout the school and introduced a new era of the paper being published online. This greatly reduced the price involved producing a paper, as when the paper was printed, it was very costly. With the website, the district pays a nominal fee for the website to remain running for an entire school year, which is obviously much cost-efficient and eco-friendly than having to pay that price every month for the paper to be published.

In addition to the reduction in cost, it allowed for articles to be produced and distributed more frequently than with the paper published. This made the paper more relevant, and gave it more of a purpose to be there as readers could be updated immediately on actively occurring events as opposed to reading old news that they more than likely already became familiar with.

A much more insignificant part, but still worth mentioning, was the changing of the logo throughout the seasons. Instead of the green logo being the only logo, more seasonally appropriate logos were added to the website to make it more appealing. The logos were made by David Golebiewski, who stated,  “I didn’t mind. I was bored in photo class and wanted to help make the paper more unique, so I decided to start making logos for the paper.” Without a doubt, the different logos did make the website more welcoming.

There was also a shift in leadership within the class. Mrs. Kelly remained the instructor of the class, but most of the other positions changed. Adelyn Veras and Mike Morelli became the new co-editors in chief. Later in the year, 4 more normal editors were added, including Arianna Avila, Patrycja Chrzanowska, Edward Curry, and Sarah Quinones. Together, these editors would make any necessary revisions needed on a staff writers’ article. Jarred Navarro acted as the website’s sports editor, who uploaded all incoming scores after a game played by one of Lindenhurst’s varsity and junior varsity teams. Chris Diliberto and Brian Lanza were this year’s breaking news editors, and they would get any necessary information needed on breaking news. Jake Kessinger was the treasurer this year, and Peter Moran was the CST’s social media director. All of these people, along with the staff writers and freelance writers, made the CST what it was this year.

Outside of the classroom, the CST did many fun things. In a joint event, the CST held two fundraisers this year with Blaze Pizza. The first one was held in November of 2017 and the second one was held in May of 2018. These fundraisers were huge successes and allowed the CST to hold bagel parties to celebrate their publishes. It also allowed for the price of their field trip this year to be limited to just food costs. The CST made a trip to News 12 this year to widen their experiences with types of journalism. To learn more, check out our other article all about the trip!