Global Goals: Norway

15 Students come to LHS and attend the Green Schools Conference

Courtesy of L. Flannelly

Courtesy of L. Flannelly

Thomas Vine, Freelance Writer

Over the past week Lindenhurst had some visitors. These visitors came all the way from Norway through the Global Goals program. The fifteen kids came here to attend the Green Schools Conference in New York City and to learn a few things about American history.

While in New York City the Lindy kids showed the Norwegians many things. First on Sunday, Lindy students went to pick up and meet the Norwegians. The students spent two hours getting to know each other and making friends before getting on a bus to go to the Makers Fair in Queens. The Makers Fair is a celebration of the do-it yourself attitude and arts and craft. There the kids were let loose and allowed to walk around to wherever they wanted. Many saw a car get crushed by a giant hand. While there, the Norwegians were asked about their culture, what life was like there, and vice versa. After the Makers Fair, the group headed to the Queens museum to see one room, which perplexed many.  Many thought, why would we only go to one room? Until we got into the room!  The room contained a sprawling panorama on NYC where one inch was equal to one hundred feet.   The following day, the entire group visited the Empire State Building, but time constraints prevented going up into the observation deck. Later the group headed over to Times Square.

On Monday, the Norwegians received a tour around LHS, and for three days where we had guest speakers including a Liuba Grechen Shirley who is currently running for Congress. While here at LHS, the Norwegians attended many class and learned a great deal about the American education system.  Then on Friday, the group left for Boston. The trip consisted of a visit to the site of the Boston massacre and Quincy Market. The group also went on a ghost walk around the city where our tour guide taught us about murders and such that had occurred in the city over the years. The trip ended with a tour of Harvard featuring the history of one of America’s oldest colleges. Upon dropping the Norwegians off, hugs were exchanged and tears were shed, but not before a bombshell was dropped. The original plan was for Lindy students to travel to Norway in April, but that can no longer happen. Since that has changed, the club is currently debating on where they should go. 

Thomas Vine, Freelance Writer

Thomas vine is a junior who enjoys playing guitar, watching movies, and hanging out with his friends. He also enjoys playing video games and swimming....

1 Comment

One Response to “Global Goals: Norway”

1. Linda Flannelly on October 22nd, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi Tom,

Nice job on this report. Unfortunately we cannot go to Norway this year due to a conflict with their schedule.

Thanks,

Ms. Flannelly

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Global Goals: Norway

School News

Eyes Wide Open

• Global Goals: Norway

School News

Homecoming 2018

• Global Goals: Norway

School News

Trick or Treat on Charles Street 2018

• Global Goals: Norway

School News

2018 Lindenhurst Environmental Field Trips (L.E.F.T)

• Global Goals: Norway

School News

LHS Club Fair ~ A Back to School Tradition!

• Global Goals: Norway

School News

Lindy Clubs to Join

• Global Goals: Norway

School News

Key Club: Your Key to Community Service

• Global Goals: Norway

School News

Whipped Cream and Socks to Whip Cancer

• Global Goals: Norway

School News

Empowering the Youth

• Global Goals: Norway

School News

Introducing Interact Club!

Global Goals: Norway