LHS Club Fair ~ A Back to School Tradition!

Adam Filipkowski, Freelance Writer

On October 6, 2018  a club fair was held in the Lindenhurst High School where students came during lunch to the Rotunda and to learn more about the clubs offered here in the high school. “It was a great experience because kids, especially incoming freshmen, would learn about new clubs and take part in Lindy Pride,” says one student who participated in the club fair that day. Students from all clubs stayed near their posts and talked to others about the activities done by their clubs. It was a way of students to express their interests and to persuade others to join their club.

The club with the most signatures for their club would win a special prize. The Italian Club students won the best club fair display at this year’s LHS Club and Activity Fair because their booth was creative, engaging, informational, and celebratory. During all of the lunch periods, the Italian Club students were on hand to talk about their fundraisers, trips, and projects. The students’ photo exhibit (which was displayed on a table covered with an Italian flag tablecloth, pizza cutouts, sparkles, etc.) included pictures of their Italian adventures in Italy, Boston, and NY. It also included photos of them baking for their Hurricane Relief fundraiser from which, they raised over $500. In addition to commenting on their illuminated photo exhibit, club members led the following games: Italian vocabulary guessing game; guess how many lollipops are in the jar; 1,2,3 bounces to get ball into a cup. The winners of these games received ring pops. During the fair, the Italian Club members recruited 37 new members which will increase its membership to 79! Lastly, students talked about their future plans which include a dodge-ball fundraiser for Mr. Seaman’s family on November 9th.  

At LHS, we are extraordinarily lucky to have extra-curricular activities, opportunities to: learn about things beyond required courses, be creative, become globally competent, take on leadership roles, establish friendships, and make the world a better place.”

— Ms. Flannelly

Overall, this was a fabulous event that students had fun doing. Assistant Principal and organizer of the club fair, Ms. Flannelly said, “From our global schools partnerships, we’ve learned that school in many countries don’t offer after-school activities. Author Yong Zhao pointed out how unfortunate this is when he stated, Chinese students are good at solving existing problems in predictable ways, but not at coming up with radical new solutions or inventing new problems to solve. (Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Dragon?133). At LHS, we are extraordinarily lucky to have extra-curricular activities, opportunities to: learn about things beyond required courses, be creative, become globally competent, take on leadership roles, establish friendships, and make the world a better place.”  Go Lindy!

Adam Filipkowski, Freelance Writer

Adam Filipkowski is a 14 year old freshman at Lindenhurst High School. This is his first year in taking part in the Charles Street Times. Adam is a FreeLance...