How COVID-19 Is Affecting The College Admissions Process

Michelle Kurianowicz, Staff Writer

Way back in March, students got sent home for what they  thought would be two weeks, but it turned into long, life-changing months before they even knew it. The Class of 2020 knew that their senior year was over. No prom, no proper graduation. They said that the Class of 2021 and the Class of 2022 were lucky, and that they wouldn’t have to deal with the same situations that they did. Let’s take a look at the current situation facing the Class of 2021. Many of our seniors are currently going through the college application process. Once again, COVID-19 is affecting current seniors and their future plans. One of the most common things we hear about during college applications season is the SAT and the ACT. Most of this year’s seniors planned to take the SAT/ACT towards the end of their junior year, but those plans were shut down as soon as COVID restrictions were put into place. The SAT/ACT for many students was cancelled, leaving them clueless as to what they should do. In order to ease the pressure and complication of finding a way to take a test, many colleges went test-optional for the next admissions cycle. Meaning, students could choose whether or not to submit a test score. Even the most elite, top-tier universities made their applications test-optional, such as Harvard, Dartmouth, and Colombia University. A good number of students thought that it would make applying to college during these unprecedented times easier. “COVID has definitely had a huge impact on applying to colleges and it takes away the in person meetings that are so valuable to us students. However it has also given us a slight benefit in some scenarios as certain requirements, such as SAT/ACT scores not being a requirement,” said senior Nickolas Gaita. Other students still felt strongly about the importance of taking standardized tests, and sympathized with students who did not have the chance to take the test due to restrictions. “I’ve had to travel upstate to find open test centers for the SAT since a majority of Long Island centers have shut down. While this was a fortunate event for myself, as I was able to sit through an administration of the test, I know many kids on Long Island are put at a disadvantage when they aren’t able to do the same”, said senior Brooklyn Ratel. It is now September, and the end of the college applications process for the Class of 2021 is near. Some students are scrambling to take the SAT/ACT before the windows close, and some students are relaxing, knowing that the test-optional schools are there for them. 

Another crucial point in the college application process is finding a school that is right for you. However, with college campuses closed and heavily restricted and without the opportunity to visit the physical campuses, students are having a difficult time choosing what environment they want to spend the next few years in. “I haven’t been able to visit school campuses, so I don’t really know what I’m looking for in a college” says senior Sean Garvey. Students who still don’t know what college is the right fit for them and those who have not experienced a college campus are being placed at a  disadvantage. Sean also pointed out that the lack of face to face communication with teachers also leaves seniors applying to college with another obstacle. Garvey states, “The little in school time gives me less opportunities to talk to my teachers about recommendations and such.”  

“Life took a major turn, just gotta keep your head up”, says senior Kenny Medina.