Adjusting to School in 2020

Cecilia Sesto, Staff Writer

Starting school online is a big change for teachers and students. Students have transitioned from taking the bus and going to school every day with their friends to attending only every four days with three other people in class.  For freshman, it is certainly not what was expected for their first year of high school. Waking up, getting on the computer for a google meet then waiting around for your next class all from home. The Charles Street Times interviewed people in different grades how they are adjusting to online school and what their experience is like.  

Senior, Chiara Sesto says, “It hasn’t been much of a challenge for me because we had to deal with this last school year. The only difference is that we have to go on Google meets every period. It’s been sad for the freshmen and seniors alike  because it’s the freshmen’s first year to experience high school and the seniors’ last year to experience high school. Also, it’s sad that we don’t get any of the school events that the seniors look forward to, for example homecoming, pep rally, the football games, and prom.” 

Students of all ages agree that this hybrid model is a disappointment.  Olivia Poznanski, an 8th grade students says, “It’s a big change not going to school every day. I have been kind of getting used to it, but some classes are very difficult on the computer.  It’s very upsetting that we can’t do any clubs or sports.  I was looking forward to all of the after school activities.” 

It doesn’t matter what grade you are in; students are struggling.  Fourth grader, Cirino Sesto says, “I am lucky that I go every other day but I am struggling. Last year I got pulled out for reading and math and now I don’t get any services so my mom and sisters have been tutoring me. I have four google meets a day and they are all spread throughout the day and I do not like waiting around all day.”  

Another student from the middle school feels the stress of this hybrid model, but seems to like attending remotely.  Sixth grader Kyle Poznanski explains his frustrations with attending every four days.  “It has not been going that well since it’s my first year in middle school. I did not have orientation so I don’t really know where any of my classes are. I get lost every time I go into school. At home it’s a lot better. I have my mom and sister to help me and when I’m waiting waiting around for my google meet I play outside.” 

Even though many students are struggling, some students can see the silver lining in this new way of attending school.  Kaylee Herig, a tenth grader states, “I like online and I also like  regular school. I am not struggling in any of my classes. I think I’m doing better at home than at school. It wasn’t that big of a change besides waking up a lot earlier but that’s it. The only thing I don’t really like is going in once a week and that we don’t have sports but I can wait till next year. If we were to go back every other day I would be fine with that too.”

School is hard enough for most students.  Juggling online school but now, hybrid and remote learners have these additional struggles.  Hopefully things will start to change in the future.