The 2020-2021 Pandemic

And How It Has Affected My Baseball Career

Tyler Cooney, Staff Writer

By now, and by the time you read this, it is probably well past the last day of classes at Lindenhurst High School. Personally, I’ve been mentally checked out since about April, but that’s beside the point. This year has taught me so much, from the good to the bad to the ugly and everything in between; there were always lessons to be learned. Even during the large portion of the year where I studied under remote learning on the computer, I found ways to take messages away from the lessons that my teachers would present. Prior to this, even in 2020 during the beginning of the pandemic, I learned the most about myself that I ever have and probably ever will again.

The first major lesson I took away was to always work hard and never sell yourself short. During the March 2020 quarantine I realized that there was nothing to do. Nothing. Except, I finally tinkered around and realized that with all of this time, I could be working out, throwing, reading books, etc. It was really a turning point in my career and my life, as I tried to take the first step toward completely reinventing myself athletically and mentally. Of course, it wouldn’t have happened in such a short amount of time, but I realized what needed to be done to get to that point I so desired.

In the middle of the pandemic, July 20 to be exact, I suffered a major arm injury, which now has gotten to a point where I might need surgery. This taught me that even though I was at such a low point, there are ways to get yourself up and better than you were before. Almost a year later, I had my varsity season ended because of this injury. The last time I pitched was May 24th, and that will be the last time I pitch until February of 2022, or maybe even later than that. Now, as I write this, I’m working harder than ever to recuperate and avoid surgery, but there are no promises. I am grateful enough to already be committed to a college and have a spot on the roster, however, I need to do something with that spot and make an impact on the team.

Overall, I guess that the pandemic taught me to stay resilient. Through the many mental breaks I went through to the just-as-many physical obstacles that I’ve encountered, I’ve always found my way back- stronger. I’m sure that this amounts to nothing in terms of what other people have gone through, but I believe that this was a major stepping stone in my athletic career. I believe that I needed this to happen in order for me to be able to take my next step into college. It’s been a joy to go through high school, even with the many barriers and obstacles, but I’m excited to see what the next several years will bring for me.